If you haven’t already, check out the “Get Started” page for tips, helps, and ideas.
Programs you can put on
There are many, many ways to use health to reach this lost and dying world. And in fact, even our own members can benefit from better physical, spiritual, and mental health. We’ve included a few of the common programs that have been used around BC by churches of all sizes. Some of these programs are presented by the author of the program, like Stress Management by Cameron Johnston and Darlene Blaney’s “Total Health” seminars, while other programs require a more involved approach. This is by no means an exhaustive list.
CHIP – Started in BC and now is an international program. The Complete Health Project is a very effective way to introduce your community to health. This relatively affordable, lifestyle enrichment program is designed to reduce disease risk factors through the adoption of better health habits and appropriate lifestyle modifications. The goal is to lower blood cholesterol, hypertension, and blood sugar levels and reduce excess weight. This is done by improving dietary choices, enhancing daily exercise, increasing support systems and decreasing stress, thus aiding in preventing and reversing disease. Throughout the program, participants are guided through the various stages of lifestyle change, helping to show them the benefits of an optimal lifestyle and giving them the tools to maintain positive lifestyle change. The group setting provides a supportive environment to help reinforce positive lifestyle behaviours and build lasting friendships. At various points throughout the program, participants take part in blood draws and health risk assessments, helping to track their progress throughout and guide them on their own unique journey. Learn more about CHIP. Click HERE
Supper Clubs – Great for any size church. They can be done in so many ways. Watch this video on supper clubs to learn more.
Depression Recovery Program – A comprehensive and effective 8-week program (12 weeks total including 2 intro nights and follow up dinner). By Dr. Neil Nedley. Click to learn more.
Optimize Your Brain: Simple program, easy to put on, powerful and complete. By Dr. Neil Nedley. Click to learn more.
Cooking School/Classes – You can teach others cooking. People want to learn healthful eating. Need help? Contact us.
LifeStart Seminars = 12 part DVD series. Comprehensive health ministry program available—giving you everything you need from initial contact to Bible study, using Christ’s method alone. Use this DVD video series in combination with the FREE supporting materials updated regularly on the outpostministry.net website. Download FREE facilitator guides, handouts, promotional and interest-gathering tools, and more… Included are twelve standalone community health intervention programs by Dr. David DeRose. It is designed so that a different topic can be offered each month of the year. Each presentation is based on the nine world-famous health principles found in the LifeStart acronym that has helped millions live well naturally and without the use of prescription drugs. – outpostministry.net/store/lifestart-seminars-12-part-dvd-series/
Lifestyle Matters short programs – 1. Food and Thought (a 3 evening, 6 hr seminar on food and your brain), 2. Living Free (a 4 evening, 8hr, seminar on additions), and 3. Stress Management (a 3 evening, 6 hr seminar). These simple and easy to use DVD and Power Point programs were produced by Vickie Griffin and the Michigan Conference. Only 3 sessions which can be completed a weekend or done weekly. Great opening wedge for a small church.
Native New Health: To learn more or order this DVD series go to www.nativenewhealth.ca
Programs led out by experts
Sound Marriage Relationship House – Don Straub Ph. 250-869–7137 email: email@example.com
Stress Management Seminars and Training – Cameron Johnston Ph. 250-392-1905 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
“Total Health” Seminar (weekend seminar comprised of health lectures and cooking classes) – Darlene Blaney, PhD, NCP, CFT Ph. 403-746-5388 email: email@example.com
Pre-made DVD Programs
Native New Health – To learn more or order this DVD series go to www.nativenewhealth.ca
Depression Recovery Program – Major depression is the most common mood disorder worldwide. In the Nedley Depression & Anxiety Recovery Program, Dr. Nedley helps participants develop an insightful and in-depth comprehension of their body’s physical, mental and spiritual functions. While this program is designed to be done by a church you can use it as a DVD ministry.
Step Fast – Need practical help with health and fitness? Seeking optimal lifestyle based on science and inspiration? Want to easily share prevention and wellness principles with others? This dynamic 12-part video series features leading experts in preventive medicine, who will help you understand the relationship between lifestyle and disease. By engaging in simple, natural lifestyle habits, you can make a difference in the health you enjoy!
Weimar’s NEWSTART Global offers online resources where you can refer people you meet. NO WORK on your part!!! The NEWSTART® Lifestyle Club (an online club) is helping people and churches offer an abundance of free resources for web browsers seeking credible, scientifically based health information along with a physician directory, wellness tips and tools, deals, and more.
So you’ve got some programs going or maybe you want your church family to learn more. Below is a list of resources you can use for sharing or getting more education on various topics.
- Recipes & Health Information — Over a 1000 free recipes and 12 cookbooks for free download at www.bodymindhealthcoach.com email Angela Poch and she’ll give you permission to print or photocopy the cookbooks for your outreach project or cooking school. She also has a FREE “How to put on your own cooking school” course!)
- A great resource is “Balanced Living” by Hope Source who has 24 glow style tracts on health you can use like a Bible study series, but on health. You can also use these tracts just like you would GLOW tracts. Visit Hope Source to view these tracts and their other health resources like their 8 health bulletins, and more.
- There are also several resources on NAD Health Ministries website: http://www.nadhealthministries.org
Please also check out our Facebook Page as we regularly post videos on health and wellness plus recipes and plant based cooking.
Other ideas: expos, newsletters, and more
Building a contact list on is the first and most important step for all kinds of outreach. But there are some special and easy ways for those doing health outreach. The ideas below can be used at any of your current programs like evangelistic series, Christmas concerts, music concerts, etc. And you can also use them at expos (learn more about doing a food expo below), farmers markets, etc.:
- Use surveys – in addition to setting these out on a table you can be more proactive with them. Go door to door, do a mail out survey card, or ask a Bible worker to include health programs on their survey. See below for a survey you can edit.
- Draws – offer a draw with a cookbook or video for a prize.
- Farmers Markets & Food Expos – many small towns in BC are doing farmers markets. Those attending a farmer’s market are generally a little more open to health, since they are trying to buy local, fresh foods. Get a booth and offer some free fresh water, have a draw for a FREE cookbook/video, etc. to collect names (see above). You can even get water bottle labels and put a lovely health message and contact info on it OR use it to advertise for an upcoming event. Hand out tracts on health (like the GLOW or Better Living tracts from the ABC). Give away book markers or postcards on health.
For health expo resources of all kinds, including kits, visit: www.healthexpobanners.com
Need more help? We are here for you! Click here to view contact info for several members of the BC Health Committee Team!