Honoring BC Conference Retirees
One of the greatest achievements in life is to conclude one's professional career with a sense of joy, a feeling of a task accomplished yet still love the work one has done for many years. There is no doubt that this is the case for our BC Conference pastors who are retiring this year. Many of us had the privilege to associate with them personally and to know them as who they really are: friendly, approachable, committed to the Cause, possessing a servant leadership style, and as full believers in the message they shared with others for decades. These are our retirees! We are happy to see them complete their years of active ministry among us, although a pastor never retires! Now they move to enjoy the next phase of their lives with the same expectation they had while serving God and His people faithfully: The desire to see Jesus coming & to be with Him forever.
We appreciate all their hard work - the pastoral visitations to the sick & discouraged, leading the people to align and serve God, or just by being present in the happy moments in the lives of their church members; the many committees they led & participated in; the time they invested listening to and counseling people; the hours of preparation and meditation in God's Word, personal devotions to present the blessed message afresh and with power from the pulpit! Above all, just by being there to serve the flock with love and compassion. We will miss seeing them frequently as we have done until now. We salute and recognize them as faithful servants and remind them that their reward is secured by the great Master!
Karel Samek – May 31, 2016
Karel felt the calling into that ministry and spent next 17 years as a Literature Evangelist, Publishing Assistant, and Publishing Director in Ontario and Alberta. After the downfall of communism he sought to help re-establish literature evangelism in his native country which started to come true in 1992.
As a result, Karel worked over 12 years as a missionary, advisor, and publishing leader in the post-communist countries of Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania, and Bulgaria under the auspices of the Inter European Division. In 2005 he served as the Pastor in Yellowknife, Northwest Territory and since 2007 as in the district of Merritt, Ashcroft and for the last 3 years also in Lillooet. Karel will retire on May 31, 2016 after almost 40 years of service.
May God continue to bless David & Erika, Terry & Lee-Ann, Ken & Frances, and Karel. Their legacy will remain among us, a source of inspiration to younger ministers and an example of faith to the British Columbia Constituency at large.
David Laughton – Retired on Dec 31, 2014
David Laughton was raised in Burnaby, BC by a loving but non church-attending family. He was taken to Sabbath School by his Adventist grandma when he was 13 years old as his mother thought her boys needed some religion. He still has very happy memories of the three years he attended the Vancouver Central Adventist Church and the warmth shown to all the young people by Walter Kisselbach, Walter Graham, and Grant Klokeid.
David stopped attending church when he was 16 and began working part time for a chain of fitness clubs. Later (1968), while working for the same company, he was transferred to Calgary where his Uncle and Aunt, Tom and Ivy Smith were Adventists and wonderful to be around. They invited David's wife Valerie (deceased) and him for Sabbath lunch pretty well every week. In Calgary they began attending church. David was transferred to Winnipeg in 1970 and decided to attend one of George Knowles' meetings, "Dead Men Do Tell Tales" which was on fulfilled prophecy.... and he was convinced that night God was real and it was time for a full commitment.
David was baptized in October 1971 and after a year of strong involvement in the church he decided to study for the ministry and attended Walla Walla from Sept. 1973-Aug. 1977.
David received his first call to Max/Butte/Turtle Lake, North Dakota where he pastored until March 1981 when he accepted a call to Man/Sask Conference where he served Moose Jaw/
Tugaske, Weburne/Estevan, Yorkton/Canora until May 2000. Then, he accepted a call from BC/Yukon to pastor in Penticton/Keremeos. Sadly, David's wife Valerie passed away in July 1995.
He served in Penticton/Keremeos for five years and has spent the last seven plus years in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory. David says that "while not without its challenges, I have loved my years in Pastoral ministry."
Erika and David were married on July 1st, 2007 and they now operate a supportive living home in Duncan, BC, another form of ministry which they both enjoy tremendously.
Terry Sparks – Retired on June 1, 2015
Terry and Lee-Ann Sparks began in the ministry on June 1, 1979 in the British Columbia Conference, working in Creston for the first couple of months before camp meeting and later in the Abbotsford/Aldergrove districts.
In 1980, Terry attended Andrews University Seminary completing the Master of Divinity degree. In 1982 they assisted in the North Shore/Squamish/Sunshine Coast district, and in 1983 were assigned to Creston/Cranbrook.
In 1989, they pastored the Orchard City/Winfield/Wildwood churches in the Okanagan.
In 1994, they served in the Immanuel Church in North York, Ontario. In 1997 they returned west to Saskatoon and pastored the Mount Royal/Riverway/Rosthern churches.
In 2008, they moved to the Abbotsford church until his retirement on June 1, 2015, 36 years to the day in pastoral ministry!
Terry and Lee-Ann are blessed with two children, Sasha and Jonathan. Sasha and her husband Wayne have a daughter, Olivia and newborn son Declan. Both Sasha and Jonathan reside in Saskatoon, as well as Terry's parents. Terry and Lee-Ann have returned to Saskatoon to be close to family and assist as caregivers for Terry's parents.
Ken Schander – September 1, 2015
Ken Schander retired officially on September 1, 2015 after 43 years of service as a Seventh-day Adventist minister. Born into an Adventist pastor's family in Minneapolis, MN, he began his ministry as an intern in Pittsburg, PA in 1972.
He pastored churches in Butler, Leechburg, & New Brighton, PA (1973-78), Saskatoon, SK (1978-83), Halifax, Nova Scotia (1983-88), and Niles, MI (1988-1997). He also pastored the Willowdale SDA Church in Toronto, ON, an especially meaningful privilege since his own father-pastor had also served the same church 20 years earlier.
Twelve years later he moved to beautiful Vancouver Island where he has ministered to the Duncan and Victoria churches. Ken is grateful for a great God who has walked by his side -- through the years that have vanished too quickly -- on a path he would never have anticipated during his growing-up years.
Ken and his wife, Frances, are parents of one daughter, Heather, a school psychologist in the Toronto area. In mid-October, the Schanders will move to Niagara-on-the Lake, ON, where Ken anticipates the cycling, and opportunities to stop at fine bakeries, will continue. He also wishes to continue serving the Lord as He sees fit.
- WOMEN'S MINISTRY FALL RETREAT 2016
- MY TRIBUTE: CONCERT
- 9TH ANNUAL MUSIC DAY
- RUNNERS POUND PAVEMENT FOR ALDERGROVE CHURCH’S AOK PROGRAM
- GIVE LOVE: AN ADRA CANADA CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- LIGHT OUT OF THE DARKNESS: CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- FRASER VALLEY ADVENTIST ACADEMY DEDICATES NEW BUS
- HAVING A BLAST AT FRASER VALLEY'S FALL FEST
- CASA FLAG FOOTBALL 2015
- MEMORIAL SERVICE – THE LATE BASIL WILLIAMS
- REACH UP! CAMP MEETING DAILY PAPER
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS UPDATE: OCTOBER 18, 2015
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY: PHILLIP & JORDAN KLEIN!
- BIBLE AND HEALTH EVANGELISM TRAINING
- WEST COAST WEDNESDAYS
- REACH ACROSS!
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- INVESTING IN ADVENTIST EDUCATION: WE ALL WIN
- Costa Rica - FVAA MISSION TRIP
- ESTATE PLANNING WITH OUR CHURCH IN MIND
- REACH IMPLEMENTED AT AVALON ADVENTIST CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
- WE ALL GIVE
- ADVENTURER FAMILY MINISTRY
- CHANGE OR DIE
- HEALTHY SCHOOL BOARDS
- THE GIVING PLEDGE
- DISCIPLESHIP: PEACE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
- REACH: PATHFINDER PERSPECTIVE - JACKIE TOOMBS
- VOLUNTEERS! VOLUNTEERS! VOLUNTEERS!
- RISE TO THE CHALLENGE
- CAMPUS MINISTRIES
- DREAM CHURCH BOARD MEETING
- BC CONFERENCE WELCOMES NEW PASTORS
- DEER LAKE SCHOOL: THE LIGHT OF SERVICE
- PATHFINDER HERITAGE DISPLAY
- 4.7 MILLION SEEDS
- FORTY YEARS OF EXCELLENT IMPACT
- 3 PASTORS ORDAINED TO THE GOSPEL MINISTRY
- OKAA: DISCOVERING PURPOSE SHAPING CHARACTER
- A MESSAGE TO FELLOW WORKERS
- AOK 5K - FUN RUN
- IMPORTANT LEGAL ADVICE
- MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR MABEL JOHNSON
- CONNECT SERIES
- ALIVE NIGHT
- CHURCH IN THE VALLEY CELEBRATES GRAND OPENING
- MOMENTUM TRAINING EVENT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS UPDATE: OCTOBER 1, 2015
- CHAPLAIN NEEDED: DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- AMPT LEADERSHIP CONVENTION 2015
- AN EVENING OF MUSIC WITH FRANKIE BONES
- QUIET HOUR MISSION TRIP: PHILIPPINES 2016
- NO DREAM IS TOO BIG
- LIFTED: ANNUAL YOUTH RETREAT
- CHANGING YOUR TASTEBUDS
- WORKERS MEETING UPDATE
- LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
- LET'S MOVE VANCOUVER PLANS TAKE SHAPE
- ARLENE R. TAYLOR SEMINAR AT WESTMINSTER
- FILIPINO ADVENTIST CHURCHES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA ALIGNED FOR CHRIST
- PREMARITAL COUNSELING TRAINING
- VISIT TO CHETWYND
- LET'S MOVE VANCOUVER UPDATE
- LEADERSHIP MANUAL
- PASTOR SHADOW WEEK
- SHADOW WEEK CONCEPT
- SHADOW WEEK TESTIMONY
- UPDATE ON TITHES AND GIVING
- COPS FOR CANCER STOPS BY DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- TLM SCHOOL PROJECT - 13TH SABBATH OFFERINGS 2015
- FROM THE ARCHIVES: VICTORIA SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH
- HELP WANTED: CAMP HOPE
- SINGLES MINISTRIES WEEKEND RETREAT 2015
- 2015 WOMEN'S MINISTRY RETREAT: PROGRAM
- 2015 AOK GOLF CHARITY A HUGE SUCCESS!
- JAIME JORGE IN CONCERT: THE CHURCH IN THE VALLEY
- MEN OF HOPE 2015: PROGRAM
- THE GHOST MOUNTAIN GRUNT RACE 2015
- FRASER VALLEY ADVENTIST ACADEMY DEDICATION SERVICE 2015
- BC LIONS PLAYER VISITS DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- DO YOU BELIEVE: TRAILER
- CHIP IN YOUR CHURCH
- DEER LAKE SCHOOL: ALUMNI CORN ROAST
- BURNABY HOMELESS ACTION WEEK 2015
- TEACHERS NEEDED IN KOREA!
- MCBRIDE PROPHECY SERIES 2015
- SULADS NEWSLETTER: JUNE 2015
- VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL IN ROCK CREEK
- FAMILY FUN DAY IN KELOWNA
- QUESTIONS: VERNON SEMINAR
- BUSY DAYS! BEING GREEN AGAIN AND RE-ROOFING!
- MEN OF HOPE Men's Retreat.
- BLESSED ARE
- YOU MAKE ME BRAVE
- 2PRAY JCI YOUTH MOVEMENT 2015
- NAD Ministerial Convention
- CRESTON CHURCH HEALTH PRESENTATION ON HEART DISEASE
- BRYAN BENN'S STORY
- ADVENTIST EDUCATION—IS IT INREACH OR OUTREACH?
- CHURCH IN THE VALLEY: GRAND OPENING WEEKEND
- CELEBRATING 20 YEARS: SON VALLEY FELLOWSHIP
- REACH UP! CAMP MEETING ORDINATION SERVICE
- ANNUAL MEN'S MINISTRY RETREAT: STRUGGLES
- 16TH ANNUAL CHIP SUMMIT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS (BOD) UPDATES: JULY 26 + AUGUST 11, 2015
- FRANKIE BONES IN CONCERT
- SAGE: CRANBROOK CHURCH RENOVATION
- ANNUAL WOMEN'S MINISTRIES RETREAT
- ORDINATION RESPONSE
- REACH VIDEOS
- SAGE BC 2015
- READING THRU THE GOSPELS 2015
- COMMUNICATION RESOURCE SEMINAR JULY 27-30 2015
- SURREY CHURCH - VBS "THE CREATOR IS MY FRIEND" 2015
- WHAT IS REACH?
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - SON VALLEY CHURCH
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - PORT HARDY
- YOUNG ADULT CAMP MEETING LINEUP
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - DAWSON CREEK
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - PRINCE GEORGE
- WOMEN'S MINISTRY - FALL RETREAT 2015
- DESIRE OF AGES CHAPTER 78 (SELECTIVE READING)
- 2015 DEER LAKE SCHOOL HOME SHOW
- Did You Know
- ELEMENTS OF AN EFFECTIVE PASTORAL VISIT
- Quotable Quotes
- Reach Orientation + Partnership forum
- The Most Humble Work
- I Am Going
- Camp Meeting Seminars, 2015
- Health Ministries - June 2015 - NEWSLETTER
- Health Ministries - May 20 - NEWSLETTER
- The Street Store: Oakridge SDA Church
- Wayne's Camp Hope Appeal
- MP Mark Warawa Highlights Acts Of Kindness In Aldergrove
- June 27: Reach BC & Yukon
- JUNE 20: CANADIAN FRENCH WORK* (WB)
- June 13: Genral Conference Session Offering (FOR WORLD MISSION) GC
- Local Church Budget
- In support of BURMAN UNIVERSITY - (CUC)
- OKAA Centennial Committee needs your Help!
- Terry Sparks Retires
- Ministerial Musings - Penticton
- Ministerial Musings - Fountain View Academy
- Ministerial Musings - Surrey Evangelism
- Honoring BC Conference Retirees
- BRITISH COLUMBIA FAMILY RETREAT July 1-4, 2015
- Home Renos in Aldergrove life altering for two families
- Email Address for Pastors
- Baptismal Resources
- Thoughts From the President
- 8 Things I Wish My Members Knew...
- Book Review - Repenting of Religion
- No Kids Allowed
- Interviewing Rob Folkenberg III
- Family Retreat - Nothing is Impossible - July 1-4, 2015
- What to Expect @ The Wave - Camp Meeting Summer 2015
- 12 Sabbaths of Praying
- Deer Lake School: Evening of the Arts
- Who's on Your Side?
- CHURCH SECRET SHOPPER
- Healthy Choices Wellness Weekend
- Benefits of Extreme Home Repair
- ADRA Helps Nepal
- WORTHY IS THE LAMB: A PRAISE CONCERT
- MEMBERSHIP CLASS RESOURCES
- GET TO KNOW ME - PASTOR JOSH JAMIESON
- Help I am a Pastor and I am Drowning
- PRESIDENT'S UPDATE: APRIL 22, 2015
- New Ministerial Director
- Penticton Welcomes Ezekiel Deschenes
- Deer Lake School: Love Dine'
- FVAA Mission Trip to Costa Rica
- THE INVISIBLE HANDS: EASTER THANKSGIVING CONCERT
- GOD'S PLAN FOR YOUR CHURCH
- PREPARING FOR GROWTH
- 8 VALUES OF TEAMWORK
- Book Review - Leadership and the Art of Struggle
- SOME ADVICE
- Eat like an Adventist
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - SMITHERS
- REACH VANCOUVER INTITIATIVE
- Ministerial Musings - Kamloops
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE FOR PASTORS
- DR. ERN BRAKE REACH PRESENTATION
- EFFECTIVE LEADERS
- SABBATH SCHOOL COURT
- SUMMER CAMP PRAISE REPORT
- Worthy Is The Lamb: A Praise Concert
- EIM REPLACED BY PASTORS’ REACH FUND
- Ministerial Musings - Vancouver Chinese Church
- SURVEY SAYS...YOUNG ADULTS
- 100 DAYS OF PRAYER
- GET TO KNOW ME
- PATHFINDERS HELP BRING GOD’S BLESSING
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - MISSION CHURCH
- Avalon Christmas Program 2014
- New Church Plant
- 2015 MULTI-CLUB WINTER CAMPING
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 3)
- ICE STORM UPDATE: JANUARY 29
- 10TH ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CONCERT A SUCCESS!
- ICE STORM UPDATE: JANUARY 15
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY JORDAN POCH!
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 2)
- Terrace 10 Days of Prayer
- CAMP HOPE HIT BY ICE STORM!
- 2014 YOUTH RETREAT
- THE LIVING DISCOVERIES
- Not By Might - But By His Spirit
- CBS Special: Sikhs, Mennonites and Adventists
- Board of Directors Update: December 4, 2014
- 10 SIGNS YOU MAY BE GOING TO A GREAT LOCAL CHURCH
- CRESTON CHRISTMAS MUSICAL 2014
- Mission Church: Former Pastors Meet Up!
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 1)
- Ministerial Musings - Native Camp meeting Port Hardy