Their rented building is literally being eaten by termites. The members worked with us every day. We formed life long friendships with them. Although we only had one Spanish speaker with us, a Grade 12 student, Jose Pinto, God enabled us to get the church built!
Our initial $4050.00 build the walls only.
A local man gave 1,000,000 CRC (Costa Rica Colon) to build the washrooms before we arrived. The rest of the church we built was based on the washroom wall and formed the sanctuary.
When the walls were done, we all realized that the church had no extra funds to finish it. That's when the idea surfaced to complete the roof.
We found out it would cost USD$5990.00 to do it. We asked the FVAA team to start the contributions and they came up with almost $1000.00. I tweaked the budget and came up with $2500.00 more.
The remaining $2500.00 was raised via some phone calls and texts. The contractor told us if we put a roof on, he would not charge us. Another man told us he would not charge for the cement mixer. A third man gave a discount for materials we would need to purchase. This whole process took place on Monday and had to be finalized before 4:30 p.m.
Our team, the church members prayed like crazy. It was an impossible thing for us to do this, but we thought it would be good to stick our "feet in the water".
After the decision was made together to move on this, God provided the remaining funds needed in less than an hour. The joy when we told our team and the local church members was one of amazement and praise. Our faith was tested, but God knew exactly what He was doing. You see, this was a special holy week in Costa Rica and Thursday and Friday were countrywide holidays.
The money was pledged just before the deadline and we were able to drive 45 minutes to a manufacturing plant to pay for the materials and order delivery for Tuesday. Three welders manufactured the trusses while our team spent Tuesday at the beach. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, we worked together and completed the roof.
It was an amazing miracle of God.
On the final Sabbath, we dedicated the new church with prayer and then everyone in the church hugged. Not for a few seconds, but for a long time because everyone hugged everyone.
Children and adults, church members, team members, and visitors. Everyone had tears in there eyes because we knew what was going on was all from God. It was and is, a miracle of God's provision.
Lives were changed in so many ways during our Costa Rica 2015 trip.
God led us. These three simple words encapsulate FVAA’s recent mission trip, Costa Rica 2015.
We were supposed to go to Guatemala, but that trip was canceled due to safety concerns. A parent suggested Costa Rica, but in my heart I was very unsure, since I knew no one there. One phone call and an eager Mission President, Pastor Milton Castillo, changed all that. When I asked his greatest need, he said they needed a church in Aguas Claras. The people had been praying for years for this. We not only became the answer to prayer, but the channels of God’s grace and miracles. And we got to share Jesus with a wonderful group of children.
Katie Mowat says, “When Pastor Jim Gaull, our chaplain, asked if I would be going on the mission trip, my answer was an immediate ‘yes.’ As we began to plan the trip, I wondered if I had spoken too quickly. Did God want me to go on this trip? Could I make a difference? I prayed about my doubts and put my heart into building the church and working with the children. On the last day, as I watched the VBS children following the actions to our theme song, I realized that our team had made an impact on their lives. After singing, a few of the children waved and asked me to sit with them. It was then that I knew that I personally had made a difference in these children’s lives.”
Daniel Castillo adds, “Our trip in Costa Rica was not in our plan. Many of the things that happened during the trip were things we weren’t planning or expecting. I saw firsthand the way God provides. The roof is a great example. Our budget built walls only. We wanted to add a roof on the church and gave our own money to help. We had 3 hours left to raise another $2,500.00. Our team prayed constantly. God provided in perfect timing. We put the roof on! That was a blessing to me, being able to see God work miracles like that. This trip has been a blessing and inspiration in my life.”
Michelle Hong shares, “I had the privilege of being a part of a life-changing experience on our school's mission trip to Costa Rica. We left for the trip with so many unanswered questions and uncertainties, but in the end, our trust and faith in God grew immensely. He delivered us from roadblocks, and we were even able to build a roof over the church that was not originally in our plans. The hardest part of the trip was saying goodbye to the beautiful faces and hearts that we grew so close to regardless of age, but we have the reassurance that God will be with them always and we'll one day meet again in heaven.”
By Jim Gaull, Chaplain, Fraser Valley Adventist Academy
Check out our hashtag #FVAA2015CR on Instagram to see more of our experiences!
- WOMEN'S MINISTRY FALL RETREAT 2016
- MY TRIBUTE: CONCERT
- 9TH ANNUAL MUSIC DAY
- RUNNERS POUND PAVEMENT FOR ALDERGROVE CHURCH’S AOK PROGRAM
- GIVE LOVE: AN ADRA CANADA CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- LIGHT OUT OF THE DARKNESS: CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- FRASER VALLEY ADVENTIST ACADEMY DEDICATES NEW BUS
- HAVING A BLAST AT FRASER VALLEY'S FALL FEST
- CASA FLAG FOOTBALL 2015
- MEMORIAL SERVICE – THE LATE BASIL WILLIAMS
- REACH UP! CAMP MEETING DAILY PAPER
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS UPDATE: OCTOBER 18, 2015
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY: PHILLIP & JORDAN KLEIN!
- BIBLE AND HEALTH EVANGELISM TRAINING
- WEST COAST WEDNESDAYS
- REACH ACROSS!
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- INVESTING IN ADVENTIST EDUCATION: WE ALL WIN
- Costa Rica - FVAA MISSION TRIP
- ESTATE PLANNING WITH OUR CHURCH IN MIND
- REACH IMPLEMENTED AT AVALON ADVENTIST CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
- WE ALL GIVE
- ADVENTURER FAMILY MINISTRY
- CHANGE OR DIE
- HEALTHY SCHOOL BOARDS
- THE GIVING PLEDGE
- DISCIPLESHIP: PEACE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
- REACH: PATHFINDER PERSPECTIVE - JACKIE TOOMBS
- VOLUNTEERS! VOLUNTEERS! VOLUNTEERS!
- RISE TO THE CHALLENGE
- CAMPUS MINISTRIES
- DREAM CHURCH BOARD MEETING
- BC CONFERENCE WELCOMES NEW PASTORS
- DEER LAKE SCHOOL: THE LIGHT OF SERVICE
- PATHFINDER HERITAGE DISPLAY
- 4.7 MILLION SEEDS
- FORTY YEARS OF EXCELLENT IMPACT
- 3 PASTORS ORDAINED TO THE GOSPEL MINISTRY
- OKAA: DISCOVERING PURPOSE SHAPING CHARACTER
- A MESSAGE TO FELLOW WORKERS
- AOK 5K - FUN RUN
- IMPORTANT LEGAL ADVICE
- MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR MABEL JOHNSON
- CONNECT SERIES
- ALIVE NIGHT
- CHURCH IN THE VALLEY CELEBRATES GRAND OPENING
- MOMENTUM TRAINING EVENT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS UPDATE: OCTOBER 1, 2015
- CHAPLAIN NEEDED: DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- AMPT LEADERSHIP CONVENTION 2015
- AN EVENING OF MUSIC WITH FRANKIE BONES
- QUIET HOUR MISSION TRIP: PHILIPPINES 2016
- NO DREAM IS TOO BIG
- LIFTED: ANNUAL YOUTH RETREAT
- CHANGING YOUR TASTEBUDS
- WORKERS MEETING UPDATE
- LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
- LET'S MOVE VANCOUVER PLANS TAKE SHAPE
- ARLENE R. TAYLOR SEMINAR AT WESTMINSTER
- FILIPINO ADVENTIST CHURCHES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA ALIGNED FOR CHRIST
- PREMARITAL COUNSELING TRAINING
- VISIT TO CHETWYND
- LET'S MOVE VANCOUVER UPDATE
- LEADERSHIP MANUAL
- PASTOR SHADOW WEEK
- SHADOW WEEK CONCEPT
- SHADOW WEEK TESTIMONY
- UPDATE ON TITHES AND GIVING
- COPS FOR CANCER STOPS BY DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- TLM SCHOOL PROJECT - 13TH SABBATH OFFERINGS 2015
- FROM THE ARCHIVES: VICTORIA SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH
- HELP WANTED: CAMP HOPE
- SINGLES MINISTRIES WEEKEND RETREAT 2015
- 2015 WOMEN'S MINISTRY RETREAT: PROGRAM
- 2015 AOK GOLF CHARITY A HUGE SUCCESS!
- JAIME JORGE IN CONCERT: THE CHURCH IN THE VALLEY
- MEN OF HOPE 2015: PROGRAM
- THE GHOST MOUNTAIN GRUNT RACE 2015
- FRASER VALLEY ADVENTIST ACADEMY DEDICATION SERVICE 2015
- BC LIONS PLAYER VISITS DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- DO YOU BELIEVE: TRAILER
- CHIP IN YOUR CHURCH
- DEER LAKE SCHOOL: ALUMNI CORN ROAST
- BURNABY HOMELESS ACTION WEEK 2015
- TEACHERS NEEDED IN KOREA!
- MCBRIDE PROPHECY SERIES 2015
- SULADS NEWSLETTER: JUNE 2015
- VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL IN ROCK CREEK
- FAMILY FUN DAY IN KELOWNA
- QUESTIONS: VERNON SEMINAR
- BUSY DAYS! BEING GREEN AGAIN AND RE-ROOFING!
- MEN OF HOPE Men's Retreat.
- BLESSED ARE
- YOU MAKE ME BRAVE
- 2PRAY JCI YOUTH MOVEMENT 2015
- NAD Ministerial Convention
- CRESTON CHURCH HEALTH PRESENTATION ON HEART DISEASE
- BRYAN BENN'S STORY
- ADVENTIST EDUCATION—IS IT INREACH OR OUTREACH?
- CHURCH IN THE VALLEY: GRAND OPENING WEEKEND
- CELEBRATING 20 YEARS: SON VALLEY FELLOWSHIP
- REACH UP! CAMP MEETING ORDINATION SERVICE
- ANNUAL MEN'S MINISTRY RETREAT: STRUGGLES
- 16TH ANNUAL CHIP SUMMIT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS (BOD) UPDATES: JULY 26 + AUGUST 11, 2015
- FRANKIE BONES IN CONCERT
- SAGE: CRANBROOK CHURCH RENOVATION
- ANNUAL WOMEN'S MINISTRIES RETREAT
- ORDINATION RESPONSE
- REACH VIDEOS
- SAGE BC 2015
- READING THRU THE GOSPELS 2015
- COMMUNICATION RESOURCE SEMINAR JULY 27-30 2015
- SURREY CHURCH - VBS "THE CREATOR IS MY FRIEND" 2015
- WHAT IS REACH?
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - SON VALLEY CHURCH
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - PORT HARDY
- YOUNG ADULT CAMP MEETING LINEUP
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - DAWSON CREEK
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - PRINCE GEORGE
- WOMEN'S MINISTRY - FALL RETREAT 2015
- DESIRE OF AGES CHAPTER 78 (SELECTIVE READING)
- 2015 DEER LAKE SCHOOL HOME SHOW
- Did You Know
- ELEMENTS OF AN EFFECTIVE PASTORAL VISIT
- Quotable Quotes
- Reach Orientation + Partnership forum
- The Most Humble Work
- I Am Going
- Camp Meeting Seminars, 2015
- Health Ministries - June 2015 - NEWSLETTER
- Health Ministries - May 20 - NEWSLETTER
- The Street Store: Oakridge SDA Church
- Wayne's Camp Hope Appeal
- MP Mark Warawa Highlights Acts Of Kindness In Aldergrove
- June 27: Reach BC & Yukon
- JUNE 20: CANADIAN FRENCH WORK* (WB)
- June 13: Genral Conference Session Offering (FOR WORLD MISSION) GC
- Local Church Budget
- In support of BURMAN UNIVERSITY - (CUC)
- OKAA Centennial Committee needs your Help!
- Terry Sparks Retires
- Ministerial Musings - Penticton
- Ministerial Musings - Fountain View Academy
- Ministerial Musings - Surrey Evangelism
- Honoring BC Conference Retirees
- BRITISH COLUMBIA FAMILY RETREAT July 1-4, 2015
- Home Renos in Aldergrove life altering for two families
- Email Address for Pastors
- Baptismal Resources
- Thoughts From the President
- 8 Things I Wish My Members Knew...
- Book Review - Repenting of Religion
- No Kids Allowed
- Interviewing Rob Folkenberg III
- Family Retreat - Nothing is Impossible - July 1-4, 2015
- What to Expect @ The Wave - Camp Meeting Summer 2015
- 12 Sabbaths of Praying
- Deer Lake School: Evening of the Arts
- Who's on Your Side?
- CHURCH SECRET SHOPPER
- Healthy Choices Wellness Weekend
- Benefits of Extreme Home Repair
- ADRA Helps Nepal
- WORTHY IS THE LAMB: A PRAISE CONCERT
- MEMBERSHIP CLASS RESOURCES
- GET TO KNOW ME - PASTOR JOSH JAMIESON
- Help I am a Pastor and I am Drowning
- PRESIDENT'S UPDATE: APRIL 22, 2015
- New Ministerial Director
- Penticton Welcomes Ezekiel Deschenes
- Deer Lake School: Love Dine'
- FVAA Mission Trip to Costa Rica
- THE INVISIBLE HANDS: EASTER THANKSGIVING CONCERT
- GOD'S PLAN FOR YOUR CHURCH
- PREPARING FOR GROWTH
- 8 VALUES OF TEAMWORK
- Book Review - Leadership and the Art of Struggle
- SOME ADVICE
- Eat like an Adventist
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - SMITHERS
- REACH VANCOUVER INTITIATIVE
- Ministerial Musings - Kamloops
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE FOR PASTORS
- DR. ERN BRAKE REACH PRESENTATION
- EFFECTIVE LEADERS
- SABBATH SCHOOL COURT
- SUMMER CAMP PRAISE REPORT
- Worthy Is The Lamb: A Praise Concert
- EIM REPLACED BY PASTORS’ REACH FUND
- Ministerial Musings - Vancouver Chinese Church
- SURVEY SAYS...YOUNG ADULTS
- 100 DAYS OF PRAYER
- GET TO KNOW ME
- PATHFINDERS HELP BRING GOD’S BLESSING
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - MISSION CHURCH
- Avalon Christmas Program 2014
- New Church Plant
- 2015 MULTI-CLUB WINTER CAMPING
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 3)
- ICE STORM UPDATE: JANUARY 29
- 10TH ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CONCERT A SUCCESS!
- ICE STORM UPDATE: JANUARY 15
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY JORDAN POCH!
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 2)
- Terrace 10 Days of Prayer
- CAMP HOPE HIT BY ICE STORM!
- 2014 YOUTH RETREAT
- THE LIVING DISCOVERIES
- Not By Might - But By His Spirit
- CBS Special: Sikhs, Mennonites and Adventists
- Board of Directors Update: December 4, 2014
- 10 SIGNS YOU MAY BE GOING TO A GREAT LOCAL CHURCH
- CRESTON CHRISTMAS MUSICAL 2014
- Mission Church: Former Pastors Meet Up!
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 1)
- Ministerial Musings - Native Camp meeting Port Hardy