8 VALUES OF TEAMWORK THAT KEEP A CHURCH HEALTHY
By Rick Warren
The success of your ministry depends largely on developing a strong team with a deep sense of team spirit. I’ve witnessed the incredible power of a unified team to create growth and have counseled many churches who weren’t growing because their team members worked as individuals and not as a team.
A team spirit is never accidental; it is always intentional. Teamwork is built on three factors:
a compelling purpose
crystal clear communication
a code of commonly held values
At Saddleback Church, we express the eight values of teamwork in a simple acrostic, T.E.A.M.W.O.R.K.:
Trust among your team is the emotional glue that binds them together; it’s essential to producing true confidence in each other. There are three factors that create trust within a team:
Consistency—People will trust you if, time after time, they see you responding in a consistent and reasonable manner. You also need to be readable, in the sense that they need to know where you are coming from in your decisions and responses.
Loyalty—Defend members of your team when they’re criticized and then check the facts later in private, always assuming the best until there is concrete evidence to the contrary.
Delegation—When you delegate to your team the power to make decisions, you’re essentially telling them: “I trust you!” People trust leaders who trust them.
E—ECONOMY OF ENERGY
Even a thoroughbred horse can’t run at a full gait all the time. The quickest way to burn-out a team is to never let them relax. The book of Proverbs teaches: “A relaxed attitude lengthens a man’s life” (Proverbs 14:30, LB). If you want the people on your team to last, they must have some down time.
Here are some ways you can promote an economy of energy within your team:
Anticipate and compensate for personal and family energy drains, such as illnesses and new babies. Your team has a life outside of their area of ministry.
Allow people to work at different energy levels on different days. Some days, everyone must work fast and energetic. Other days, it is important to slow the pace a bit. In the long term, slow and steady always outlasts the fast and furious.
Plan your year in energy cycles. At Saddleback, we always build in rest periods for consolidation between major growth campaigns and initiatives.
Allow flexibility in schedules when possible.
Make the work fun!
Everybody is hungry for affirmation. When they don’t get it, they get cranky. It’s amazing how a smile and a simple word of encouragement can change a team member’s entire day. Four practical ways you can affirm your team would be:
valuing their ideas
appreciating their uniqueness
commending their efforts
praising their loyalty
M—MANAGEMENT OF MISTAKES
The Bible teaches: “Even though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again” (Proverbs 24:16, NIV). I love that saying because it points out that even righteous people make mistakes and stumble occasionally. Mistakes are not failures, because you’re never a failure until you give up. Mistakes teach us what doesn’t work. If you’re not making any mistakes, it means you’re playing it safe and not trying anything new. I tell my staff that I want every one of them making at least one new mistake a week—as long as it isn’t the same old one! Mistakes are how we learn and get better.
W—WEEKLY STAFF MEETINGS
For years, I asked my team to bring me a brief weekly report on a small 3×5 card. This kept the reports short and to the point. Then those cards became our weekly meeting agenda. Today we use email. Here are the four things you want to know as a leader:
“I’ve made progress in ______________________________________.”
“I’m having difficulty with ___________________________________.”
“I need a decision from you on ________________________________.”
“I’m thankful for ___________________________________________.”
Open communication is the cornerstone of great teamwork. Proverbs 13:17 (LB) says “reliable communication permits progress.” There are three common barriers to great communication:
Presumption—How many problems have been caused by the phrase “But I assumed …”? Here are some fatal assumptions: assuming that there’s only one way to see a problem; assuming that everyone else feels just like you; assuming that someone will never change (they do); assuming that you can know someone else’s motives (you can’t).
Impatience ruins open communication because we are more interested in what we are going to say than listening to what others say. Impatience causes you to jump to conclusions.
Pride—When you think you know it all, you are resistant to feedback, and you become defensive instead of really listening to others and learning.
R—RECOGNITION AND REWARD
The more credit you give to others, the more you develop team spirit. It’s that simple. The Bible says, “Give honor and respect to all those to whom it is due” (Romans 13:7, LB).
K—KEEP ON LEARNING
All leaders are learners. The moment you stop learning, you stop being a leader. As I consult with churches, I’ve seen that growing churches require growing leaders.
Another proverb says, “The intelligent man is always open to new ideas. In fact, he looks for them” (Proverbs 18:15, LB). Do you do that? Do you encourage your team members to keep on growing, developing and learning? At Saddleback, our staff is constantly reading books and listening to tapes to sharpen their skills and develop their character.
If you practice these eight T.E.A.M.W.O.R.K. values with your team, you’ll experience a new level of teamwork in your church that will take your ministry to new heights.
- WOMEN'S MINISTRY FALL RETREAT 2016
- MY TRIBUTE: CONCERT
- 9TH ANNUAL MUSIC DAY
- RUNNERS POUND PAVEMENT FOR ALDERGROVE CHURCH’S AOK PROGRAM
- GIVE LOVE: AN ADRA CANADA CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- LIGHT OUT OF THE DARKNESS: CHRISTMAS CONCERT
- FRASER VALLEY ADVENTIST ACADEMY DEDICATES NEW BUS
- HAVING A BLAST AT FRASER VALLEY'S FALL FEST
- CASA FLAG FOOTBALL 2015
- MEMORIAL SERVICE – THE LATE BASIL WILLIAMS
- REACH UP! CAMP MEETING DAILY PAPER
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS UPDATE: OCTOBER 18, 2015
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY: PHILLIP & JORDAN KLEIN!
- BIBLE AND HEALTH EVANGELISM TRAINING
- WEST COAST WEDNESDAYS
- REACH ACROSS!
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- INVESTING IN ADVENTIST EDUCATION: WE ALL WIN
- Costa Rica - FVAA MISSION TRIP
- ESTATE PLANNING WITH OUR CHURCH IN MIND
- REACH IMPLEMENTED AT AVALON ADVENTIST CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
- WE ALL GIVE
- ADVENTURER FAMILY MINISTRY
- CHANGE OR DIE
- HEALTHY SCHOOL BOARDS
- THE GIVING PLEDGE
- DISCIPLESHIP: PEACE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
- REACH: PATHFINDER PERSPECTIVE - JACKIE TOOMBS
- VOLUNTEERS! VOLUNTEERS! VOLUNTEERS!
- RISE TO THE CHALLENGE
- CAMPUS MINISTRIES
- DREAM CHURCH BOARD MEETING
- BC CONFERENCE WELCOMES NEW PASTORS
- DEER LAKE SCHOOL: THE LIGHT OF SERVICE
- PATHFINDER HERITAGE DISPLAY
- 4.7 MILLION SEEDS
- FORTY YEARS OF EXCELLENT IMPACT
- 3 PASTORS ORDAINED TO THE GOSPEL MINISTRY
- OKAA: DISCOVERING PURPOSE SHAPING CHARACTER
- A MESSAGE TO FELLOW WORKERS
- AOK 5K - FUN RUN
- IMPORTANT LEGAL ADVICE
- MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR MABEL JOHNSON
- CONNECT SERIES
- ALIVE NIGHT
- CHURCH IN THE VALLEY CELEBRATES GRAND OPENING
- MOMENTUM TRAINING EVENT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS UPDATE: OCTOBER 1, 2015
- CHAPLAIN NEEDED: DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- AMPT LEADERSHIP CONVENTION 2015
- AN EVENING OF MUSIC WITH FRANKIE BONES
- QUIET HOUR MISSION TRIP: PHILIPPINES 2016
- NO DREAM IS TOO BIG
- LIFTED: ANNUAL YOUTH RETREAT
- CHANGING YOUR TASTEBUDS
- WORKERS MEETING UPDATE
- LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT
- LET'S MOVE VANCOUVER PLANS TAKE SHAPE
- ARLENE R. TAYLOR SEMINAR AT WESTMINSTER
- FILIPINO ADVENTIST CHURCHES IN BRITISH COLUMBIA ALIGNED FOR CHRIST
- PREMARITAL COUNSELING TRAINING
- VISIT TO CHETWYND
- LET'S MOVE VANCOUVER UPDATE
- LEADERSHIP MANUAL
- PASTOR SHADOW WEEK
- SHADOW WEEK CONCEPT
- SHADOW WEEK TESTIMONY
- UPDATE ON TITHES AND GIVING
- COPS FOR CANCER STOPS BY DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- TLM SCHOOL PROJECT - 13TH SABBATH OFFERINGS 2015
- FROM THE ARCHIVES: VICTORIA SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH
- HELP WANTED: CAMP HOPE
- SINGLES MINISTRIES WEEKEND RETREAT 2015
- 2015 WOMEN'S MINISTRY RETREAT: PROGRAM
- 2015 AOK GOLF CHARITY A HUGE SUCCESS!
- JAIME JORGE IN CONCERT: THE CHURCH IN THE VALLEY
- MEN OF HOPE 2015: PROGRAM
- THE GHOST MOUNTAIN GRUNT RACE 2015
- FRASER VALLEY ADVENTIST ACADEMY DEDICATION SERVICE 2015
- BC LIONS PLAYER VISITS DEER LAKE SCHOOL
- DO YOU BELIEVE: TRAILER
- CHIP IN YOUR CHURCH
- DEER LAKE SCHOOL: ALUMNI CORN ROAST
- BURNABY HOMELESS ACTION WEEK 2015
- TEACHERS NEEDED IN KOREA!
- MCBRIDE PROPHECY SERIES 2015
- SULADS NEWSLETTER: JUNE 2015
- VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL IN ROCK CREEK
- FAMILY FUN DAY IN KELOWNA
- QUESTIONS: VERNON SEMINAR
- BUSY DAYS! BEING GREEN AGAIN AND RE-ROOFING!
- MEN OF HOPE Men's Retreat.
- BLESSED ARE
- YOU MAKE ME BRAVE
- 2PRAY JCI YOUTH MOVEMENT 2015
- NAD Ministerial Convention
- CRESTON CHURCH HEALTH PRESENTATION ON HEART DISEASE
- BRYAN BENN'S STORY
- ADVENTIST EDUCATION—IS IT INREACH OR OUTREACH?
- CHURCH IN THE VALLEY: GRAND OPENING WEEKEND
- CELEBRATING 20 YEARS: SON VALLEY FELLOWSHIP
- REACH UP! CAMP MEETING ORDINATION SERVICE
- ANNUAL MEN'S MINISTRY RETREAT: STRUGGLES
- 16TH ANNUAL CHIP SUMMIT
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS (BOD) UPDATES: JULY 26 + AUGUST 11, 2015
- FRANKIE BONES IN CONCERT
- SAGE: CRANBROOK CHURCH RENOVATION
- ANNUAL WOMEN'S MINISTRIES RETREAT
- ORDINATION RESPONSE
- REACH VIDEOS
- SAGE BC 2015
- READING THRU THE GOSPELS 2015
- COMMUNICATION RESOURCE SEMINAR JULY 27-30 2015
- SURREY CHURCH - VBS "THE CREATOR IS MY FRIEND" 2015
- WHAT IS REACH?
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - SON VALLEY CHURCH
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - PORT HARDY
- YOUNG ADULT CAMP MEETING LINEUP
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - DAWSON CREEK
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - PRINCE GEORGE
- WOMEN'S MINISTRY - FALL RETREAT 2015
- DESIRE OF AGES CHAPTER 78 (SELECTIVE READING)
- 2015 DEER LAKE SCHOOL HOME SHOW
- Did You Know
- ELEMENTS OF AN EFFECTIVE PASTORAL VISIT
- Quotable Quotes
- Reach Orientation + Partnership forum
- The Most Humble Work
- I Am Going
- Camp Meeting Seminars, 2015
- Health Ministries - June 2015 - NEWSLETTER
- Health Ministries - May 20 - NEWSLETTER
- The Street Store: Oakridge SDA Church
- Wayne's Camp Hope Appeal
- MP Mark Warawa Highlights Acts Of Kindness In Aldergrove
- June 27: Reach BC & Yukon
- JUNE 20: CANADIAN FRENCH WORK* (WB)
- June 13: Genral Conference Session Offering (FOR WORLD MISSION) GC
- Local Church Budget
- In support of BURMAN UNIVERSITY - (CUC)
- OKAA Centennial Committee needs your Help!
- Terry Sparks Retires
- Ministerial Musings - Penticton
- Ministerial Musings - Fountain View Academy
- Ministerial Musings - Surrey Evangelism
- Honoring BC Conference Retirees
- BRITISH COLUMBIA FAMILY RETREAT July 1-4, 2015
- Home Renos in Aldergrove life altering for two families
- Email Address for Pastors
- Baptismal Resources
- Thoughts From the President
- 8 Things I Wish My Members Knew...
- Book Review - Repenting of Religion
- No Kids Allowed
- Interviewing Rob Folkenberg III
- Family Retreat - Nothing is Impossible - July 1-4, 2015
- What to Expect @ The Wave - Camp Meeting Summer 2015
- 12 Sabbaths of Praying
- Deer Lake School: Evening of the Arts
- Who's on Your Side?
- CHURCH SECRET SHOPPER
- Healthy Choices Wellness Weekend
- Benefits of Extreme Home Repair
- ADRA Helps Nepal
- WORTHY IS THE LAMB: A PRAISE CONCERT
- MEMBERSHIP CLASS RESOURCES
- GET TO KNOW ME - PASTOR JOSH JAMIESON
- Help I am a Pastor and I am Drowning
- PRESIDENT'S UPDATE: APRIL 22, 2015
- New Ministerial Director
- Penticton Welcomes Ezekiel Deschenes
- Deer Lake School: Love Dine'
- FVAA Mission Trip to Costa Rica
- THE INVISIBLE HANDS: EASTER THANKSGIVING CONCERT
- GOD'S PLAN FOR YOUR CHURCH
- PREPARING FOR GROWTH
- 8 VALUES OF TEAMWORK
- Book Review - Leadership and the Art of Struggle
- SOME ADVICE
- Eat like an Adventist
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - SMITHERS
- REACH VANCOUVER INTITIATIVE
- Ministerial Musings - Kamloops
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE FOR PASTORS
- DR. ERN BRAKE REACH PRESENTATION
- EFFECTIVE LEADERS
- SABBATH SCHOOL COURT
- SUMMER CAMP PRAISE REPORT
- Worthy Is The Lamb: A Praise Concert
- EIM REPLACED BY PASTORS’ REACH FUND
- Ministerial Musings - Vancouver Chinese Church
- SURVEY SAYS...YOUNG ADULTS
- 100 DAYS OF PRAYER
- GET TO KNOW ME
- PATHFINDERS HELP BRING GOD’S BLESSING
- MINISTERIAL MUSINGS - MISSION CHURCH
- Avalon Christmas Program 2014
- New Church Plant
- 2015 MULTI-CLUB WINTER CAMPING
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 3)
- ICE STORM UPDATE: JANUARY 29
- 10TH ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CONCERT A SUCCESS!
- ICE STORM UPDATE: JANUARY 15
- WELCOME TO THE FAMILY JORDAN POCH!
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 2)
- Terrace 10 Days of Prayer
- CAMP HOPE HIT BY ICE STORM!
- 2014 YOUTH RETREAT
- THE LIVING DISCOVERIES
- Not By Might - But By His Spirit
- CBS Special: Sikhs, Mennonites and Adventists
- Board of Directors Update: December 4, 2014
- 10 SIGNS YOU MAY BE GOING TO A GREAT LOCAL CHURCH
- CRESTON CHRISTMAS MUSICAL 2014
- Mission Church: Former Pastors Meet Up!
- 2015 CHALLENGE (PART 1)
- Ministerial Musings - Native Camp meeting Port Hardy