Many times only the extraordinary stories of lives that were completely changed are presented and they touch many hearts. However, there are always smaller and more ordinary details that certainly contribute to make those stories so moving and powerful.
We find it important to consider that extraordinary things are so often comprised of many ordinary and simple things put together.
As a Seventh-day Adventist minister, I always wanted to see the name of ADRA in the big headline news as a major and recognized contributor in alleviating the suffering of those affected during any human catastrophe or crisis, as ADRA continues to be involved in humanitarian aid.
I realized how much better it would be if there were no calamity or disaster in our world. We know that this is not utopia because all of these calamities exist due to the spiritual condition of our planet, tainted by sin and suffering from its consequences.
How beneficial to society it would be if there was enough support not only to save lives from distress and calamities, but also to encourage those lives towards better and healthier living.
ADRA Canada plays a major role in changing individual lives but also in enhancing those lives. This is quietly achieved by putting aside the limitations that sin has imposed on humanity through the discrimination of people by race, color, ethnicity, religion, and gender.
ADRA Canada serves anyone by being an agency that resembles the true character of the One who inspires its mission: Jesus Christ.
As He changed the world for the better, so ADRA’s motivation includes making that change real through acts of compassion and kindness to those in need, one life at a time. In 2014 alone, ADRA Canada sponsored hundreds of international and domestic projects, a number of them in the BC Conference territory.
ADRA’s vision was manifested in helping to enhance one life at a time through humanitarian church projects such as the following:
1. Armstrong - Food hampers and bags of love for displaced children as they go to a foster home.
2. Abbotsford - Food hampers and gas vouchers to assist low income
earners, helping homeless teens with hygiene kits, socks, etc.
3. Aldergrove - Acts of Kindness, Extreme Home Repair, breakfast in some schools, oil change for single moms, and other ministries.
4. Comox Valley - Sunday breakfast for the needy.
5. Maple Ridge - Emergency supplies to those facing challenging times.
6. McBride - Community Service Center that provides emergency food and clothing.
7. Merritt - Serving the First Nations people week after week.
8. New Life (Surrey) - Assisting the homeless in Vancouver.
9. Prince George - Bags of love for foster children.
10. Vernon - Community services projects and providing for the emergency needs of those struggling.
11. Victoria - Care packages, food hampers, etc., for the needy.
In recent years, ADRA Canada also financially supported projects in Campbell River, Cawston & Keremeos, Coquitlam, Creston, Delta, Kelowna, Mission, Nanaimo, Nelson, Salmon Arm, Smithers, Terrace, Trail, Tumbler Ridge, Westminster, and Whitehorse.
One hundred years from now, if this world lasts that long, nobody will care about the size of the house we lived in, the car that we drove, or even how much money we accumulated in our bank account. Starting today, people will certainly appreciate the love and care we showed to those in need and how many lives we assisted to be changed and enhanced.
Many so-called ordinary things for us could be extraordinary things for many. Nothing more rewarding exists than making a difference in someone’s life. When we help to enhance a life, the blessing returns to us abundantly.
However, the greatest reward is still to be given by the Master when He will say to His redeemed children: “Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. The king will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’” Matt. 25: 34- 40.
Thank you for praying for the work of ADRA Canada and also for blessing others with what the Lord has entrusted to you!
Share your thoughts about this article:
- Merrielee Wright's Retirement Luncheon
- REACH Update: December 4, 2014
- SDACC K-12 Board of Education: BC Report
- Haircut for a Cause
- RELAUNCED! Kelowna Silver Tips Pathfinder Club
- Anchored in Hope
- Abundant Life Welcomes Gamiel Gamugamu and Grace Zabala!
- Creston Church: Lifestyle Seminar 2014
- Creston Church Fall Outreach 2014
- Shout to the North
- Young Adult Retention Summit
- What's Your Story?
- BOD Update: October 19, 2014
- Oakridge Welcomes Ellen Schaefers!
- What is the Revolving Fund?
- Ebola Crises: An Appeal
- Stress Management Seminar
- Thanksgiving at the Senior Residence
- YVR Chaplaincy Ministry
- Terrace: Revelation of Hope
- CASA Jr. Flag Football
- MVCC Kitchen Staff and Ladies Retreat Week-end
- Fall Comes to Camp Hope!
- Healthy Choices & Wellness Workshop
- President's Update: October 23, 2014
- Farewell To A Beloved Pastor
- Rutland Welcomes New Members
- Yolanda Fowler's Spiritual Journey
- BOD Update: September 25, 2014
- BLIND CAMP: I Am Always There For You!
- PCS Graduates First Grade 12 Class!
- ADRA: Enhancing One Life at a Time
- New BC Conference Pastors
- 11th Annual Charity Golf Classic A Success!
- Deer Lake School: Helping Communities
- My Legacy
- How Camp Changed Me!
- 2013-2014 Teachers Recognized!
- Kettle Valley Adventurer Club Grand Finale
- ALIGNMENT: Take It To The Streets 2013
- Deer Lake School Campout 2014
- AAJA Update: September 1
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Give-away Sunday in Kelowna
- RUTLAND’S LOSS – ABBOTSFORD’S GAIN
- The HomeTeam 7-day Extreme Home Makeover
- Resting in Jesus: Renee Wood
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Praise the Lord for Ashlee!
- Spring Break Vacation Bible School in Rutland
- Welcome to the Family Joel Bannis & Annie Ross!
- 2014 Prayer Weekend With Pavel Goia
- Father-Daughter Banquet
- Walls Go Up!
- SILVER HILLS
- BOD Updates: July 27, 2014
- Family Retreat 2014
- In The News: NOJA
- OSHKOSH! A First-Person Narrative.
- VBS at the Westminster Church
- Camp Hope Prayer Retreat
- 2014 Camp Meeting REACH Magazine
- Ordination 2014
- Is God in Total Control of YOU?
- Living In His Presence Means...
- NO FEAR WHEN LIVING IN HIS PRESENCE
- Living in His Presence Through Difficult Circumstances
- Oakridge Celebrates Multicultural Day
- The WAVE 2014
- Living In His Presence Through the Fires of Affliction
- Camp Meeting 2014 Mini Concert Line-up!
- BOD Updates: June 1, 2014
- Living in His Presence Radiates with Son-Shine
- I Need a Will
- 50% of Canadians Without a Will
- Wills Not Only for the Wealthy
- "I Shall Return"
- Creston Welcomes New Members!
- Healthful Living Program
- PALLET HOUSE BUILD CHALLENGE
- Growing an Adventist School in a Shrinking Market
- Stepping Stones Kindergarten Program!
- CONGRATULATIONS Jim & Stacey!
- BAGS OF LOVE
- Vancouver Island Camp Meeting 2014
- Rodney Michael Boring: 1999-2014
- Resting In Jesus: Bernice Cornette
- Grandmother Gets Extreme Homemakeover
- Kelowna Camp Meeting 2014
- High Penticton Sabbath
- Turning Green. Again.
- Renovation Rumours...Addressed
- Volunteers - Cleaning up our Act!
- Getting Wired
- Ted Andrews 1916-2014
- Douglas John Hosking 1942-2014
- Welcome to the Family: Marv Sapeta!
- Please Join Us in Prayer!
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- Camp Hope Update: On The Level - B Section
- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Mrs. Evelyn Kaytor!
- REST IN PEACE: PASTOR DOUGLAS HOSKING
- Stan Rogers Celebration of Life
- Deer Lake School Alumni Weekend, May 23 & 24
- Acts of Kindness 2014 (Extreme Home Repair Mini)
- BOD Update: April 8, 2014
- FVAA "Branches Out" at Camp Hope
- Masters of Vege Food
- Dan Koronko's Gift To Camp Hope
- Assistant to the President for REACH
- Camp Meeting 2014 Poster
- New Baptisms at Williams Lake!
- Fort St. John Learning Centre
- Serving Humanity
- CASA: Volleyball Weekend 2014
- Sweet 16 for Jesus!
- Realize Your Full Potential!
- REACH: April 2014 Update
- ‘Sanctuary’ in Langley
- President's Update: April 30
- President's Update: April 8
- Youth Rally: MUD
- I Will Embrace the Cross
- Welcome to the Family Tina Chard!
- CHIP Graduation: November 7, 2013
- Think on These Things
- Comox Scripture Memorization Initiative
- Welcome to the Family Ron Hazard!
- More Precious Than Silver and Gold
- President's Update: March 12
- REACH Strategic Recommendations
- FVAA Update: March 2014
- Adventist Education: Anytime. Anywhere.
- Victoria Welcomes 10 New Members!
- A Night of Gospel Classics
- FERNE ANNA (FELL) REISWIG 1926–2014
- Healthy Vegan Cooking Class
- Important Changes in the SDACC Office
- Camp Meeting Hero: Lorne Brownmiller
- Camp Hope - A Midwinter's Sunny Day
- RDC and CUC Partnership
- End It Now 2014
- Women's Day
- Life Ignition 2.0
- Dr. Arlene Taylor
- Bible Lands Tour 2014
- Elizabeth McMiller Memorial Service
- Camp Meeting 2013 Heroes
- Hats Off To Our Seniors
- Chris Balatti's Baptism
- Pray for Our Teachers
- 2013 Filipino Camp Meeting
- The Laxgalts’ap Revival Service
- All Nations Fifth Year Anniversary!
- Men of Hope 2013
- Revelation of HOPE
- Mission Welcomes Ethany Williams!
- Vancouver Korean's Health Evangelism
- Creston CHIP
- Lillooet Church Cooking Show
- LCS: A Miracle Story
- Spiritual Depot
- Castlegar Initiatives
- The Revelation Today Seminar
- Cranbrook Welcomes New Members!
- FVAA Hosts Community Christmas Party
- Shepherdess Meeting at Camp Hope
- Facebook Inforgraphic
- Spring Creek Christmas Program
- PCS students raise over $1700
- Stop Child Abuse
- Annual Women’s Ministry Spring Retreat
- Mission to Costa Rica
- Emma's Baptism
- German Camp Meeting
- Airing Our Laundry!
- Happy Birthday Myrna!
- Remembering Rae
- Aldergrove Year-end Videio
- REACH Strategy Weekend
- GOD IN THE HANDS OF SINNERS
- Annual Pastors & Principals Meeting
- Esther Linda Wecker
- REACH Update: January 2014
- A Moroccan New Year
- Native Ministry: Winter Update
- Winter Carnival
- BC Conference CORE VALUES: REACH
- A Call to Prayer
- Health Newsletter: January 2014
- Living Life In Recovery
- He Lives Here All The Time