Doug is lovingly remembered by his wife, Carolyn , daughter, Chenoalyn (Matthew) LeGresley of Kelowna,B.C., son Keenan of Lacombe, Alberta, daughter Kyla (Matthew) Andrieux of Angwin California.
His six precious grandchildren were his pride and joy and they lovingly gave their hugs, kisses, comfort items and handmade cards during his illness.
His brother, Ron (Polly) of North Sydney, NS, sister, Joy (Phil) Redo of Citra, Florida and nephews, will remember him fondly.
Doug was predeceased by his parents John (Jack) Howard and Mary (Mamie)Hosking, an infant brother, Howard and a nephew, Daryl.
A celebration of life was held on Sept 28, 2013 at which Doug preached, sang and expressed the good things God had been doing to help him and his family through his diagnosis and treatment for brain cancer.
The final words of the sermon implored everyone to press together, love one another and tell others the basic gospel of, “Jesus loves you, Jesus saves you”.
This year people have demonstrated that very thing through their prayers and messages of love poured out to Doug and his family.
Doug will be laid to rest in the Williams Lake cemetery on May 9,2014 at 1200.
In lieu of flowers donations to one of the following would be appreciated: Gospel Outreach Canada via www.goaim.org and ADRA.ca and Prayer Chapel for Camp Pugwash, NS. Attention to Julie Bannister noting in memory of Doug Hosking at www.maritimesda.ca for the address.
Doug was born in Lindsey, Ontario, but as his father went with the forces to Europe they had only a weekend together until WWII ended.
He lived in the Parry Sound district for during his early years of schooling then to Sarnia area till his first teaching job called him to a small town near Sault St. Marie. He was married to Carolyn Veness at Woodstock Ontario in 1971.
Doug taught in many places, southern and northern Ontario, Newfoundland, Maritimes (first as Education & Youth Director) and British Columbia.
He had a longing to preach and gave his first sermon at 16 years of age. Eventually, the Lubec, Calais district in Maine needed a fill-in pastor and Doug stepped in, even though he was still teaching across the border in New Brunswick. This turned into a more permanent role when the church school closed for lack of students.
His desire to preach was fulfilled and he ministered for ten years before retirement and volunteered for the following six years.
One of the most challenging endeavors Doug, along with his wife and three children, undertook was to operate a Special Care Home on a farm for eight years.
Many lessons were learned during that time: Doug- to cook, home renovate or tolerate goats; the children-to share a small living space, travel a long way to church school or help with the elderly and handicapped residents; and I- to multi-task to the limit.
We all learned about giving care to others, thus our children’s careers became health or helping in nature. After we closed the home, even Doug reapplied to medical school, Canada this time (first accepted to Loma Linda, CA in ’70, thwarted by funds and border rules).
Life is too short to cram in all the desires of one man’s heart. Good for you Doug, for testing so many doors!
Doug loved being a student (Science BA’67, Religion MA ’07 Andrews University- truly a lifelong learner) and enthusiastically conveyed this same love in his teaching or preaching.
He would make a game of lessons and before the student knew it, they had grasped spelling or times tables through simulation baseball. (His students mention their recesses or soccer games in their tributes).
He reveled in music, whether singing in choirs, small groups, solos or his favourite, with his children- often songs he have composed. He could be heard making music by whistling or singing with the oldies, classics, modern songs, hymns, and familiar ditties or ones he developed for any situation, such as teasing a little one.
Writing stories and children’s lessons was another one of his passions.
He wrote for Collegiate Quarterly and participated in math curriculum and writing workshops and developed his own courses for teaching or camp meeting delivery.
During his last year of life, he felt compelled to write and was frustrated when his strength would not permit the effort that it entails.
He did succeed in producing three finished paintings during his period of illness, along with one for me that will remain unfinished.
May we all remember the enthusiasm, caring, wisdom, empathy and love that Doug has shared with us! Let it be said that Doug did outlive his life as Max Lucado (2010) describes in his book Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make a Difference.
People, keep looking up and finding your strength in the Lord as Doug attempted to do each day of his life and expressed in a song he wrote. (Lyrics will be available upon request)
Share your thoughts about this article:
- Merrielee Wright's Retirement Luncheon
- REACH Update: December 4, 2014
- SDACC K-12 Board of Education: BC Report
- Haircut for a Cause
- RELAUNCED! Kelowna Silver Tips Pathfinder Club
- Anchored in Hope
- Abundant Life Welcomes Gamiel Gamugamu and Grace Zabala!
- Creston Church: Lifestyle Seminar 2014
- Creston Church Fall Outreach 2014
- Shout to the North
- Young Adult Retention Summit
- What's Your Story?
- BOD Update: October 19, 2014
- Oakridge Welcomes Ellen Schaefers!
- What is the Revolving Fund?
- Ebola Crises: An Appeal
- Stress Management Seminar
- Thanksgiving at the Senior Residence
- YVR Chaplaincy Ministry
- Terrace: Revelation of Hope
- CASA Jr. Flag Football
- MVCC Kitchen Staff and Ladies Retreat Week-end
- Fall Comes to Camp Hope!
- Healthy Choices & Wellness Workshop
- President's Update: October 23, 2014
- Farewell To A Beloved Pastor
- Rutland Welcomes New Members
- Yolanda Fowler's Spiritual Journey
- BOD Update: September 25, 2014
- BLIND CAMP: I Am Always There For You!
- PCS Graduates First Grade 12 Class!
- ADRA: Enhancing One Life at a Time
- New BC Conference Pastors
- 11th Annual Charity Golf Classic A Success!
- Deer Lake School: Helping Communities
- My Legacy
- How Camp Changed Me!
- 2013-2014 Teachers Recognized!
- Kettle Valley Adventurer Club Grand Finale
- ALIGNMENT: Take It To The Streets 2013
- Deer Lake School Campout 2014
- AAJA Update: September 1
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Give-away Sunday in Kelowna
- RUTLAND’S LOSS – ABBOTSFORD’S GAIN
- The HomeTeam 7-day Extreme Home Makeover
- Resting in Jesus: Renee Wood
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Praise the Lord for Ashlee!
- Spring Break Vacation Bible School in Rutland
- Welcome to the Family Joel Bannis & Annie Ross!
- 2014 Prayer Weekend With Pavel Goia
- Father-Daughter Banquet
- Walls Go Up!
- SILVER HILLS
- BOD Updates: July 27, 2014
- Family Retreat 2014
- In The News: NOJA
- OSHKOSH! A First-Person Narrative.
- VBS at the Westminster Church
- Camp Hope Prayer Retreat
- 2014 Camp Meeting REACH Magazine
- Ordination 2014
- Is God in Total Control of YOU?
- Living In His Presence Means...
- NO FEAR WHEN LIVING IN HIS PRESENCE
- Living in His Presence Through Difficult Circumstances
- Oakridge Celebrates Multicultural Day
- The WAVE 2014
- Living In His Presence Through the Fires of Affliction
- Camp Meeting 2014 Mini Concert Line-up!
- BOD Updates: June 1, 2014
- Living in His Presence Radiates with Son-Shine
- I Need a Will
- 50% of Canadians Without a Will
- Wills Not Only for the Wealthy
- "I Shall Return"
- Creston Welcomes New Members!
- Healthful Living Program
- PALLET HOUSE BUILD CHALLENGE
- Growing an Adventist School in a Shrinking Market
- Stepping Stones Kindergarten Program!
- CONGRATULATIONS Jim & Stacey!
- BAGS OF LOVE
- Vancouver Island Camp Meeting 2014
- Rodney Michael Boring: 1999-2014
- Resting In Jesus: Bernice Cornette
- Grandmother Gets Extreme Homemakeover
- Kelowna Camp Meeting 2014
- High Penticton Sabbath
- Turning Green. Again.
- Renovation Rumours...Addressed
- Volunteers - Cleaning up our Act!
- Getting Wired
- Ted Andrews 1916-2014
- Douglas John Hosking 1942-2014
- Welcome to the Family: Marv Sapeta!
- Please Join Us in Prayer!
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- Camp Hope Update: On The Level - B Section
- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Mrs. Evelyn Kaytor!
- REST IN PEACE: PASTOR DOUGLAS HOSKING
- Stan Rogers Celebration of Life
- Deer Lake School Alumni Weekend, May 23 & 24
- Acts of Kindness 2014 (Extreme Home Repair Mini)
- BOD Update: April 8, 2014
- FVAA "Branches Out" at Camp Hope
- Masters of Vege Food
- Dan Koronko's Gift To Camp Hope
- Assistant to the President for REACH
- Camp Meeting 2014 Poster
- New Baptisms at Williams Lake!
- Fort St. John Learning Centre
- Serving Humanity
- CASA: Volleyball Weekend 2014
- Sweet 16 for Jesus!
- Realize Your Full Potential!
- REACH: April 2014 Update
- ‘Sanctuary’ in Langley
- President's Update: April 30
- President's Update: April 8
- Youth Rally: MUD
- I Will Embrace the Cross
- Welcome to the Family Tina Chard!
- CHIP Graduation: November 7, 2013
- Think on These Things
- Comox Scripture Memorization Initiative
- Welcome to the Family Ron Hazard!
- More Precious Than Silver and Gold
- President's Update: March 12
- REACH Strategic Recommendations
- FVAA Update: March 2014
- Adventist Education: Anytime. Anywhere.
- Victoria Welcomes 10 New Members!
- A Night of Gospel Classics
- FERNE ANNA (FELL) REISWIG 1926–2014
- Healthy Vegan Cooking Class
- Important Changes in the SDACC Office
- Camp Meeting Hero: Lorne Brownmiller
- Camp Hope - A Midwinter's Sunny Day
- RDC and CUC Partnership
- End It Now 2014
- Women's Day
- Life Ignition 2.0
- Dr. Arlene Taylor
- Bible Lands Tour 2014
- Elizabeth McMiller Memorial Service
- Camp Meeting 2013 Heroes
- Hats Off To Our Seniors
- Chris Balatti's Baptism
- Pray for Our Teachers
- 2013 Filipino Camp Meeting
- The Laxgalts’ap Revival Service
- All Nations Fifth Year Anniversary!
- Men of Hope 2013
- Revelation of HOPE
- Mission Welcomes Ethany Williams!
- Vancouver Korean's Health Evangelism
- Creston CHIP
- Lillooet Church Cooking Show
- LCS: A Miracle Story
- Spiritual Depot
- Castlegar Initiatives
- The Revelation Today Seminar
- Cranbrook Welcomes New Members!
- FVAA Hosts Community Christmas Party
- Shepherdess Meeting at Camp Hope
- Facebook Inforgraphic
- Spring Creek Christmas Program
- PCS students raise over $1700
- Stop Child Abuse
- Annual Women’s Ministry Spring Retreat
- Mission to Costa Rica
- Emma's Baptism
- German Camp Meeting
- Airing Our Laundry!
- Happy Birthday Myrna!
- Remembering Rae
- Aldergrove Year-end Videio
- REACH Strategy Weekend
- GOD IN THE HANDS OF SINNERS
- Annual Pastors & Principals Meeting
- Esther Linda Wecker
- REACH Update: January 2014
- A Moroccan New Year
- Native Ministry: Winter Update
- Winter Carnival
- BC Conference CORE VALUES: REACH
- A Call to Prayer
- Health Newsletter: January 2014
- Living Life In Recovery
- He Lives Here All The Time