My stay in the hospital has put me about two weeks behind.
Thank you for your prayers – I am doing much better and trying to pace myself at the office.
From the following recommendations the BOD and the REACH Strategy Committee will determine the initiatives for the next 4 years.
Hopefully in the next few months I will be able to send you a detailed update as to the progress of REACH.
Our number one goal is to have an Assistant to the President for REACH in place ASAP. Please keep the BOD and the AdCom in your prayers as we prayerfully consider names for this position.
Blessings, Wayne Culmore, President
STRATEGIC PLANNING SESSION RECOMMENDATIONS: JANUARY 24 & 25, 2014
REVIVAL & TRANSFORMATION: RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Revival and Transformation begins with a message and an experience that goes viral. All Conference initiatives be focused on creating a clearer picture of God.
a. Humbly seeking and praying to truly know and experience the unconditional, self-sacrificing, unchanging, other centered (agape) love of God.
b. God's unconditional, self-sacrificing other centered (agape) love transforms us to love others in the same way.
2. Build connections -- churches, members, community
3. Focus on young adults
a. Research the reasons why 59% of young adults are missing from the church
b. A Conference Leader for Young Adult Ministry
c. A Retreat/Camp Meeting etc. for Young Adults
d. Those who are in secular universities
4. Stronger emphasis throughout the conference on prayer
5. Make corporate worship accessible to all members
6. Care Groups -- transforming Sabbath School classes to care groups
7. Create the culture, climate, resources and leadership development needed to focus on safe, loving and vibrant churches
8. Create a systematic atmosphere of accountability to each other in whatever method each church needs. (small groups, one-on-one etc.)
9. Hour of Power with testimonies -- regional and local. Inspire through personal transformative stories
10. Teach and use technology to connect churches in British Columbia. Put on Conference website a list of recommended apps for worship and revival, Bible studies ,prayer etc.
BC Conference to provide:
a. Monthly live-streaming of worship services to churches
b. Use existing technology (web/face-book/twitter etc.) to share ideas and resources about "authentic" worship.
c. Put on Conference website a list of recommended apps for worship, revival, reformation, Bible study, Prayer etc. for young adults.
11. Quarterly regional Conference meetings focusing on nuts-and-bolts of church growth and development.
a. Prayer, Leadership, Worship Conference, Bible Study Conference, Evangelism
b. Inter-generational regional Conference(s) for both youth and adult.
c. Provide resources for inter-generational worship.
d. Effective group and personal worship of God
e. Encourage and motivate daily devotional life. (Reading Bible and Desire of Ages and Mount of Blessings)
EDUCATION FOR DISCIPLESHIP: RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Bring training into the field instead of Conference Retreats--live-stream, webinars etc.
a. Use social media and develop other digital means to disseminate positive church "press" and encourage others brain-storming sessions. (eg. Mini-Vision BC)
b. Database of potential fill-in preachers, mission experts, musicians etc. -- a resource that would be available on a pass-word protected site.
c. Small Group trainers for each region who will guide churches in the exploration of community needs in order to start small "affinity" groups. (People with similar interests)
2. Conference to look at Simple Church concept.
3. Conference promote specific events in which all BC Churches participate under the umbrella of REACH.
4. Re-program/remodel Sabbath School as small groups.
5. A trained Bible Worker for every region (as part of the REACH Leader trainer idea--one leader in each category).
6. Greater focus on leadership training for Elders.
7. Need a vision from leadership for SDA education. Schools and churches rallying around each other.
8. Promote "Kids-in-Discipleship". Disciple children and youth by involvement in projects. Be intentional to connect with children and youth in school and church. Succession planning.
9. People learn by observation. Conference lead by example. Share experiences.
10. Teach our members how to hear God's voice and know His calling for my life.
11. Develop ways for constituent churches to engage their members in integrating practical skills in the school's curriculum.
12. Need resources to train members in post-modern world.
Examples of resources:
a. Care Groups - check out rightlytrained.org.
Educate our churches on Kingdom work before and after conversion. Intentionally train lay people and equip them to work independently following a mentoring process.
Alignment within the Church: Recommendations
1. Youth Service -- emphasize Christian Education service once a quarter as many churches are not attached to a school. Put young people in pulpit.
2. Regional churches work together with shared staff and resources. Encourage partnering and working together within regions -- schools and churches.
a. Getting outside of competition with others (eg. school sports)
b. Partnership of resources (live-streaming sermons, sharing volunteers, teachers, school sports activities, on-line visible honoring teachers at church.)
3. BC Conference promote collaboration of pastors/principals within specific geographic areas.
a. Partner with other churches in the development and implementation of life-skill workshops in their communities.
4. Resources for problem solving that create safety and trust.
a. Training on positive conflict resolution and focus on what really matters.
b. Conference will engage in encouraging resolution between churches that aren't working together.
5. Acknowledge the evangelistic outreach of our schools. Should be recognized as a mission field.
6. Conference puts out mission report (twice a year) that unites us--one church--and what is going on in BC Conference in different locations.
7. Encourage partnering between churches and other churches and also between schools and other schools.
8. Facilitate regional and Conference-wide meetings:
a. Vespers (regional)
b. Celebration Sabbaths
c. Youth rallies
d. Sports events
e. Mission trips (internal and external)
f. Capitalize on what's already happening (eg. collaborate with independent ministries such as ACTS/GYC).
9. Re-invigorate SAGE to assist churches in maintenance facilities.
a. Connect with schools/students - passing of baton--succession, discipleship/mentorship Conference facilitate
10. Provide a database of volunteer health professionals, marriage and family counselors, digital technicians, retired teachers etc. who are willing to share expertise.
Use technology to share ministries and collaborate with members in other churches from Conference website.
a. Create resource directory
b. Use Google Plus, Skype, Google Docs
c. Create video series, webex
d. Create roster of members willing to mender others.
Community Outreach and Evangelism: Recommendations
1. Look at creating innovation labs in our Conference.
2. Conference to look at, perhaps, not having a paid evangelist but re-allocate funds with churches using funds for their own Conference-approved evangelism programs.
3. Create shorter evangelistic series. Re-define and broaden the definition of evangelism including funding.
4. Churches and Schools connect with community to provide helpful services.
a. Place chaplains in schools and minister to SDA public school students and local churches.
b. Find ways for schools to generate income (trust fund).
c. Make use of facilities in evenings.
d. Increase partnership between churches and schools.
5. Create a Get-to-Know Jesus series that can be done by Conference Evangelist or by Pastors.
6. Identify churches not growing and equip them.
a. Identify areas without churches and allocate resources.
7. Challenge our churches to reach youth in schools, churches, universities.
8. Area-wide youth co-ordinators, and BC-wide youth co-ordinators
a. Support our youth in their mission projects attendance at Conferences etc.
8. Better balance of evangelism to local community outreach:
b. Youth: 59% of evangelism budget will be used to reach youth. Churches must present a plan.
9. Encourage churches to find ways to use their practical skills/Acts of Kindness to contribute to community well-being--as an outreach opportunity.
That the Conference encourage and publicize churches that are involved in ACTS of Kindness, soup kitchen etc around BC.
Conduct seminars on how to share your faith with friends and family without losing both.
10. That the Conference create a database of available BC Pastors/speakers who could share their evangelistic specialties/skills to supplement our Conference Evangelist. Using technology and Conference website to "How to" Evangelism.
b. Video Series
c. Google hang-out
d. YouTube/ Skype
11. That the Conference continue to explore innovative ways to do evangelism in BC and encourage the sharing of such resources and ideas.
a. Hire 50 students to do evangelism (for one-year assignment).
12. Encourage pastors and leaders to connect with other faith groups in their communities.
a. Earn right to be heard.
b. Create culture of awareness of what we have to offer.
13. Life Center at Camp Hope
a. Health evangelism in schools (food and exercise)
b. Camp Hope--Silver Hills
c. Conference workers lead by example.
d. Find or create materials that will build bridges between our health program and the desire to know Jesus.
HEALTHY LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT: RECOMMENDATIONS
1. New Pastor hires need to be hired by vision of Conference and not churches.
a. Every pastor under 30 or as needed will go through a leadership track to run a church (governance, finance, ministries).
b. Conference to take initiative to mandate vision process every 5 years; publish it and train pastors on leadership, visioning, and strategic planning.
2. Conference needs to take a more aggressive steps to protect pastors (bad theology and philosophy).
a. Teach churches and schools to care for their pastors/teachers and families.
b. 10% tithe reversion for REACH certified churches over two years.
c. Thank you for mentorship and leadership.
d. Please encourage us to be bold in our communities.
e. Empower our youth.
d. Thank you to our leaders for listening and communicating and doing what you do.
3. Recommend... a proposed restructuring of Conference Departments. One person overall would be a REACH Director for the Conference each of the six regions would have a REACH Leader and a travelling team representing REACH.
a. Initial training would begin with focused energy on selected individual churches (over an extended period of time--eg. one month of in-depth training per church).
4. Recommend that the Board of Directors continue to highlight and expand on the profile of Youth in Leadership.
5. Conference to design and implement pastor accountability tools.
a. Give churches a rubric on expectations of pastors.
6. Within the next 10 years, hire 3 - 5 female pastors.
7. Provide training for effective, local governance.
8. Teach local churches how to identify, develop and prepare members to be leaders. Provide Elder training.
9. Place workers where they can be most effective. Measure effectiveness ensuring life balance. Also include external audit.
10. Conference to model transparency to be followed by local churches. (Annual Report, Town Hall Meeting).
a. Use technology (live stream)
Praying that God will continue to bless each of you with much wisdom and discernment as you lead your church family in reaching your communities for Jesus.
Living in His Presence, Wayne Culmore, President
Share your thoughts about this article:
- Merrielee Wright's Retirement Luncheon
- REACH Update: December 4, 2014
- SDACC K-12 Board of Education: BC Report
- Haircut for a Cause
- RELAUNCED! Kelowna Silver Tips Pathfinder Club
- Anchored in Hope
- Abundant Life Welcomes Gamiel Gamugamu and Grace Zabala!
- Creston Church: Lifestyle Seminar 2014
- Creston Church Fall Outreach 2014
- Shout to the North
- Young Adult Retention Summit
- What's Your Story?
- BOD Update: October 19, 2014
- Oakridge Welcomes Ellen Schaefers!
- What is the Revolving Fund?
- Ebola Crises: An Appeal
- Stress Management Seminar
- Thanksgiving at the Senior Residence
- YVR Chaplaincy Ministry
- Terrace: Revelation of Hope
- CASA Jr. Flag Football
- MVCC Kitchen Staff and Ladies Retreat Week-end
- Fall Comes to Camp Hope!
- Healthy Choices & Wellness Workshop
- President's Update: October 23, 2014
- Farewell To A Beloved Pastor
- Rutland Welcomes New Members
- Yolanda Fowler's Spiritual Journey
- BOD Update: September 25, 2014
- BLIND CAMP: I Am Always There For You!
- PCS Graduates First Grade 12 Class!
- ADRA: Enhancing One Life at a Time
- New BC Conference Pastors
- 11th Annual Charity Golf Classic A Success!
- Deer Lake School: Helping Communities
- My Legacy
- How Camp Changed Me!
- 2013-2014 Teachers Recognized!
- Kettle Valley Adventurer Club Grand Finale
- ALIGNMENT: Take It To The Streets 2013
- Deer Lake School Campout 2014
- AAJA Update: September 1
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Give-away Sunday in Kelowna
- RUTLAND’S LOSS – ABBOTSFORD’S GAIN
- The HomeTeam 7-day Extreme Home Makeover
- Resting in Jesus: Renee Wood
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Praise the Lord for Ashlee!
- Spring Break Vacation Bible School in Rutland
- Welcome to the Family Joel Bannis & Annie Ross!
- 2014 Prayer Weekend With Pavel Goia
- Father-Daughter Banquet
- Walls Go Up!
- SILVER HILLS
- BOD Updates: July 27, 2014
- Family Retreat 2014
- In The News: NOJA
- OSHKOSH! A First-Person Narrative.
- VBS at the Westminster Church
- Camp Hope Prayer Retreat
- 2014 Camp Meeting REACH Magazine
- Ordination 2014
- Is God in Total Control of YOU?
- Living In His Presence Means...
- NO FEAR WHEN LIVING IN HIS PRESENCE
- Living in His Presence Through Difficult Circumstances
- Oakridge Celebrates Multicultural Day
- The WAVE 2014
- Living In His Presence Through the Fires of Affliction
- Camp Meeting 2014 Mini Concert Line-up!
- BOD Updates: June 1, 2014
- Living in His Presence Radiates with Son-Shine
- I Need a Will
- 50% of Canadians Without a Will
- Wills Not Only for the Wealthy
- "I Shall Return"
- Creston Welcomes New Members!
- Healthful Living Program
- PALLET HOUSE BUILD CHALLENGE
- Growing an Adventist School in a Shrinking Market
- Stepping Stones Kindergarten Program!
- CONGRATULATIONS Jim & Stacey!
- BAGS OF LOVE
- Vancouver Island Camp Meeting 2014
- Rodney Michael Boring: 1999-2014
- Resting In Jesus: Bernice Cornette
- Grandmother Gets Extreme Homemakeover
- Kelowna Camp Meeting 2014
- High Penticton Sabbath
- Turning Green. Again.
- Renovation Rumours...Addressed
- Volunteers - Cleaning up our Act!
- Getting Wired
- Ted Andrews 1916-2014
- Douglas John Hosking 1942-2014
- Welcome to the Family: Marv Sapeta!
- Please Join Us in Prayer!
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- Camp Hope Update: On The Level - B Section
- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Mrs. Evelyn Kaytor!
- REST IN PEACE: PASTOR DOUGLAS HOSKING
- Stan Rogers Celebration of Life
- Deer Lake School Alumni Weekend, May 23 & 24
- Acts of Kindness 2014 (Extreme Home Repair Mini)
- BOD Update: April 8, 2014
- FVAA "Branches Out" at Camp Hope
- Masters of Vege Food
- Dan Koronko's Gift To Camp Hope
- Assistant to the President for REACH
- Camp Meeting 2014 Poster
- New Baptisms at Williams Lake!
- Fort St. John Learning Centre
- Serving Humanity
- CASA: Volleyball Weekend 2014
- Sweet 16 for Jesus!
- Realize Your Full Potential!
- REACH: April 2014 Update
- ‘Sanctuary’ in Langley
- President's Update: April 30
- President's Update: April 8
- Youth Rally: MUD
- I Will Embrace the Cross
- Welcome to the Family Tina Chard!
- CHIP Graduation: November 7, 2013
- Think on These Things
- Comox Scripture Memorization Initiative
- Welcome to the Family Ron Hazard!
- More Precious Than Silver and Gold
- President's Update: March 12
- REACH Strategic Recommendations
- FVAA Update: March 2014
- Adventist Education: Anytime. Anywhere.
- Victoria Welcomes 10 New Members!
- A Night of Gospel Classics
- FERNE ANNA (FELL) REISWIG 1926–2014
- Healthy Vegan Cooking Class
- Important Changes in the SDACC Office
- Camp Meeting Hero: Lorne Brownmiller
- Camp Hope - A Midwinter's Sunny Day
- RDC and CUC Partnership
- End It Now 2014
- Women's Day
- Life Ignition 2.0
- Dr. Arlene Taylor
- Bible Lands Tour 2014
- Elizabeth McMiller Memorial Service
- Camp Meeting 2013 Heroes
- Hats Off To Our Seniors
- Chris Balatti's Baptism
- Pray for Our Teachers
- 2013 Filipino Camp Meeting
- The Laxgalts’ap Revival Service
- All Nations Fifth Year Anniversary!
- Men of Hope 2013
- Revelation of HOPE
- Mission Welcomes Ethany Williams!
- Vancouver Korean's Health Evangelism
- Creston CHIP
- Lillooet Church Cooking Show
- LCS: A Miracle Story
- Spiritual Depot
- Castlegar Initiatives
- The Revelation Today Seminar
- Cranbrook Welcomes New Members!
- FVAA Hosts Community Christmas Party
- Shepherdess Meeting at Camp Hope
- Facebook Inforgraphic
- Spring Creek Christmas Program
- PCS students raise over $1700
- Stop Child Abuse
- Annual Women’s Ministry Spring Retreat
- Mission to Costa Rica
- Emma's Baptism
- German Camp Meeting
- Airing Our Laundry!
- Happy Birthday Myrna!
- Remembering Rae
- Aldergrove Year-end Videio
- REACH Strategy Weekend
- GOD IN THE HANDS OF SINNERS
- Annual Pastors & Principals Meeting
- Esther Linda Wecker
- REACH Update: January 2014
- A Moroccan New Year
- Native Ministry: Winter Update
- Winter Carnival
- BC Conference CORE VALUES: REACH
- A Call to Prayer
- Health Newsletter: January 2014
- Living Life In Recovery
- He Lives Here All The Time