Red Deer, January 31, 2014 – Red Deer College and Canadian University College (CUC) have completed a unique agreement that will afford nursing students the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of both campuses.
The unprecedented four-year agreement, signed earlier today, will provide up to eight seats for CUC students to join RDC students in the University of Alberta Collaborative Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at Red Deer College. While students will continue to live at the university campus of CUC, they will take their courses at RDC where they will work to attain the degree.
The agreement targets students who would typically opt for a faith-based education, but are also interested in RDC’s renowned BScN program.
Mark Haynal, CUC President, is excited about the opportunity this collaboration with Red Deer College provides for CUC students. “Canadian University College students want to serve their communities with confidence, competence, and compassion. Many of our students and their families regard professions in the health care field as an important way to meet their communities’ needs. The opportunity to earn a nursing degree at Red Deer College while living on the Canadian University College campus allows our students to realize their dreams of compassionate service.”
Students first apply to CUC, and, once accepted, are eligible to go through the competitive entry process for entry into the BScN program at RDC. They must meet the program requirements outlined by RDC.
With the current shortage of registered nurses in Alberta, post-secondary institutions like RDC are working to find innovative ways to increase seats in already over-subscribed programs in the province.
The agreement is inspired by Campus Alberta, a provincial government concept introduced in 2002. The concept encourages Alberta’s post-secondary institutions to work together to make Alberta’s post-secondary system a leader. RDC President Joel Ward says the agreement is at the core of Campus Alberta values.
“This agreement is an excellent example of the collaboration that’s possible between post-secondary institutions in the province,” he says. “We’re always striving to create the learning experience that fits each student’s needs, and CUC came to us with an excellent opportunity to do just that.”
Red Deer College has offered the BScN through an agreement with the University of Alberta since 1990. Though the degree is conferred by the University of Alberta, students are able to complete all of their coursework at RDC. Along with the eight seats opened through the agreement, RDC currently offers 96 seats in the program.
The agreement officially commences on March 1 of this year.
About RDC: Named by Alberta Venture magazine as one of Alberta’s most innovative organizations for the Centre for Innovation in Manufacturing, Red Deer College is a key location for applied and industry-led research. Our main campus is strategically situated on 290 acres of Alberta’s natural landscape along Queen Elizabeth II Highway. We have expanded our learning and performing arts space into the heart of downtown Red Deer through our City Centre Stage and the Donald School of Business. RDC offers more than 75 different programs, including full degrees, certificates, diplomas and skilled trades programs. With more than 7,500 students – 2,300 of whom are enrolled in University programs – we will also welcome 13,000 Continuing Education learners and host 20,000 community learners for workshops, seminars and other educational opportunities this year. RDC – Celebrating 50 Years of Community
About CUC: Founded in 1907, Canadian University College (CUC) is a Christian university offering over 35 major or track choices in Campus Alberta Quality Council (CAQC) approved bachelor degree programs in Arts, Music, Science and Education. CUC is sponsored by the Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) Church and holds CAQC approval for its degree programs. With over 500 students coming from all over North America and various international locales, the warm family-like atmosphere on campus has a distinct cultural flavor. At CUC we believe in the complete university college experience. We provide an environment where academic, physical, and spiritual growth is encouraged..
For additional information, contact:
Jeff Maser, Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Jr Ferrer, Communications Director
Red Deer College Canadian University College
Share your thoughts about this article:
- Merrielee Wright's Retirement Luncheon
- REACH Update: December 4, 2014
- SDACC K-12 Board of Education: BC Report
- Haircut for a Cause
- RELAUNCED! Kelowna Silver Tips Pathfinder Club
- Anchored in Hope
- Abundant Life Welcomes Gamiel Gamugamu and Grace Zabala!
- Creston Church: Lifestyle Seminar 2014
- Creston Church Fall Outreach 2014
- Shout to the North
- Young Adult Retention Summit
- What's Your Story?
- BOD Update: October 19, 2014
- Oakridge Welcomes Ellen Schaefers!
- What is the Revolving Fund?
- Ebola Crises: An Appeal
- Stress Management Seminar
- Thanksgiving at the Senior Residence
- YVR Chaplaincy Ministry
- Terrace: Revelation of Hope
- CASA Jr. Flag Football
- MVCC Kitchen Staff and Ladies Retreat Week-end
- Fall Comes to Camp Hope!
- Healthy Choices & Wellness Workshop
- President's Update: October 23, 2014
- Farewell To A Beloved Pastor
- Rutland Welcomes New Members
- Yolanda Fowler's Spiritual Journey
- BOD Update: September 25, 2014
- BLIND CAMP: I Am Always There For You!
- PCS Graduates First Grade 12 Class!
- ADRA: Enhancing One Life at a Time
- New BC Conference Pastors
- 11th Annual Charity Golf Classic A Success!
- Deer Lake School: Helping Communities
- My Legacy
- How Camp Changed Me!
- 2013-2014 Teachers Recognized!
- Kettle Valley Adventurer Club Grand Finale
- ALIGNMENT: Take It To The Streets 2013
- Deer Lake School Campout 2014
- AAJA Update: September 1
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Give-away Sunday in Kelowna
- RUTLAND’S LOSS – ABBOTSFORD’S GAIN
- The HomeTeam 7-day Extreme Home Makeover
- Resting in Jesus: Renee Wood
- Homelessness Action Week 2014
- Praise the Lord for Ashlee!
- Spring Break Vacation Bible School in Rutland
- Welcome to the Family Joel Bannis & Annie Ross!
- 2014 Prayer Weekend With Pavel Goia
- Father-Daughter Banquet
- Walls Go Up!
- SILVER HILLS
- BOD Updates: July 27, 2014
- Family Retreat 2014
- In The News: NOJA
- OSHKOSH! A First-Person Narrative.
- VBS at the Westminster Church
- Camp Hope Prayer Retreat
- 2014 Camp Meeting REACH Magazine
- Ordination 2014
- Is God in Total Control of YOU?
- Living In His Presence Means...
- NO FEAR WHEN LIVING IN HIS PRESENCE
- Living in His Presence Through Difficult Circumstances
- Oakridge Celebrates Multicultural Day
- The WAVE 2014
- Living In His Presence Through the Fires of Affliction
- Camp Meeting 2014 Mini Concert Line-up!
- BOD Updates: June 1, 2014
- Living in His Presence Radiates with Son-Shine
- I Need a Will
- 50% of Canadians Without a Will
- Wills Not Only for the Wealthy
- "I Shall Return"
- Creston Welcomes New Members!
- Healthful Living Program
- PALLET HOUSE BUILD CHALLENGE
- Growing an Adventist School in a Shrinking Market
- Stepping Stones Kindergarten Program!
- CONGRATULATIONS Jim & Stacey!
- BAGS OF LOVE
- Vancouver Island Camp Meeting 2014
- Rodney Michael Boring: 1999-2014
- Resting In Jesus: Bernice Cornette
- Grandmother Gets Extreme Homemakeover
- Kelowna Camp Meeting 2014
- High Penticton Sabbath
- Turning Green. Again.
- Renovation Rumours...Addressed
- Volunteers - Cleaning up our Act!
- Getting Wired
- Ted Andrews 1916-2014
- Douglas John Hosking 1942-2014
- Welcome to the Family: Marv Sapeta!
- Please Join Us in Prayer!
- CAMP HOPE UPDATE: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
- Camp Hope Update: On The Level - B Section
- HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY Mrs. Evelyn Kaytor!
- REST IN PEACE: PASTOR DOUGLAS HOSKING
- Stan Rogers Celebration of Life
- Deer Lake School Alumni Weekend, May 23 & 24
- Acts of Kindness 2014 (Extreme Home Repair Mini)
- BOD Update: April 8, 2014
- FVAA "Branches Out" at Camp Hope
- Masters of Vege Food
- Dan Koronko's Gift To Camp Hope
- Assistant to the President for REACH
- Camp Meeting 2014 Poster
- New Baptisms at Williams Lake!
- Fort St. John Learning Centre
- Serving Humanity
- CASA: Volleyball Weekend 2014
- Sweet 16 for Jesus!
- Realize Your Full Potential!
- REACH: April 2014 Update
- ‘Sanctuary’ in Langley
- President's Update: April 30
- President's Update: April 8
- Youth Rally: MUD
- I Will Embrace the Cross
- Welcome to the Family Tina Chard!
- CHIP Graduation: November 7, 2013
- Think on These Things
- Comox Scripture Memorization Initiative
- Welcome to the Family Ron Hazard!
- More Precious Than Silver and Gold
- President's Update: March 12
- REACH Strategic Recommendations
- FVAA Update: March 2014
- Adventist Education: Anytime. Anywhere.
- Victoria Welcomes 10 New Members!
- A Night of Gospel Classics
- FERNE ANNA (FELL) REISWIG 1926–2014
- Healthy Vegan Cooking Class
- Important Changes in the SDACC Office
- Camp Meeting Hero: Lorne Brownmiller
- Camp Hope - A Midwinter's Sunny Day
- RDC and CUC Partnership
- End It Now 2014
- Women's Day
- Life Ignition 2.0
- Dr. Arlene Taylor
- Bible Lands Tour 2014
- Elizabeth McMiller Memorial Service
- Camp Meeting 2013 Heroes
- Hats Off To Our Seniors
- Chris Balatti's Baptism
- Pray for Our Teachers
- 2013 Filipino Camp Meeting
- The Laxgalts’ap Revival Service
- All Nations Fifth Year Anniversary!
- Men of Hope 2013
- Revelation of HOPE
- Mission Welcomes Ethany Williams!
- Vancouver Korean's Health Evangelism
- Creston CHIP
- Lillooet Church Cooking Show
- LCS: A Miracle Story
- Spiritual Depot
- Castlegar Initiatives
- The Revelation Today Seminar
- Cranbrook Welcomes New Members!
- FVAA Hosts Community Christmas Party
- Shepherdess Meeting at Camp Hope
- Facebook Inforgraphic
- Spring Creek Christmas Program
- PCS students raise over $1700
- Stop Child Abuse
- Annual Women’s Ministry Spring Retreat
- Mission to Costa Rica
- Emma's Baptism
- German Camp Meeting
- Airing Our Laundry!
- Happy Birthday Myrna!
- Remembering Rae
- Aldergrove Year-end Videio
- REACH Strategy Weekend
- GOD IN THE HANDS OF SINNERS
- Annual Pastors & Principals Meeting
- Esther Linda Wecker
- REACH Update: January 2014
- A Moroccan New Year
- Native Ministry: Winter Update
- Winter Carnival
- BC Conference CORE VALUES: REACH
- A Call to Prayer
- Health Newsletter: January 2014
- Living Life In Recovery
- He Lives Here All The Time