As time went on, young men who worked on James’ boats as crew, became skippers and started to run boats too, creating a demand for more crew men. James was dedicated to Adventist education and he would always require his skippers to hire two students. Over the years that hiring practice was quite a blessing to many young people, getting them through college and university and onto their careers.
The late 90s saw a big downturn in the west coast salmon fishery. Too many boats and not enough fish. The government was buying back boat licenses and soon unlicensed boats and gear were available on the market for unheard of low prices. This downturn hit the Adventist fleet too, which at its peak was about 40 boats mostly seine boats, but also gillnetters and trollers.
The tight knit, burgeoning Adventist community in Port Hardy soon started shrinking as fishing jobs disappeared. Their unique lifestyle, and work out on the ocean, covering the coast from Alaska to Washington, was slipping away like the falling tide. The summer fishing student crowd slowly disappeared and soon families were selling their homes and moving to other areas for work and schooling opportunities.
It was about 10 year after the majority of the Adventist commercial salmon fleet slipped into the history books that many ex-fishermen, summer student fishers and Port Hardy friends got together at Camp Hope for a reunion in October of 2010. Many were unable to make it at that time, and with the passing of 5 or more of this group due to age, cancer, a helicopter crash and more, it was deemed another one needed to be held, and this was in October 2013 on Thanksgiving weekend.
Pastor Ern Brake who had been a Port Hardy pastor had a enlightening and enriching talk on Friday evening. Bill Gerber shared his “Peter’s Amazing Catch” study for Sabbath School, and teacher Anthony Oucharek touched all of our hearts with a very heart warming and uplifting talk for the main service. He also shared with us for the Sunday morning worship. After that, there was a lot of reunions, visiting and sharing.
About 75 people showed up, some for just the day on Sabbath, and some for the whole weekend. For some it was the first time back in a long while. The farthest travelled were from Tennessee, and the closest, they live in Camp Hope. It ended all too soon and by 1:00 pm on Sunday it was just the organizers/clean uppers who remained. It was pretty much unanimous that the next reunion should only be two years away.
- New Year Challenge
- BOD Update: December 15, 2015
- Wayne's Christmas Message
- Westminster Church Welcomes Ivan Zhang!
- Avalon's Food Drive
- THE PURPOSE AND POWER OF THE GOSPEL
- FVAA Winter Banquet 2013
- Mission S2
- From Heaven With Love
- Treasury Dashboard: October 2013
- New Year Celebration Invite!
- Ice Skating in Aldergrove
- Alexandra Parodi's Baptism
- OKAA Update: December 2013
- Native Ministry Update: November 2013
- The Journey: Trailer
- ADRA: Typhoon Haiyan Slideshow
- President's Update: December 2013
- Christmas Blessing
- Fishermen & Friends Reunion
- OKAA Update
- The Shortness of Time
- Winfield Christmas
- Rutland Christmas
- PCS Christmas
- 'Tis The Night
- A Maple Ridge Christmas
- The Gift God Gave
- Comox Christmas Caroling
- Why Adventist Education?
- STORYLINE: Youth Retreat
- Oakridge Celebrate's BJ's Baptism
- Creston Celebrates New Baptism!
- An Old Fashioned Christmas
- Hollowed Manger Ground
- Pallet House Challenge
- I've Been Changed
- Christmas in Jolly Old England
- FVAA at Heat Game
- Strings of Compassion
- The Journey
- Native Ministry Update: October 2013
- PROJECT Rebuild!
- REACH BC + Yukon
- Struggling to QUIT?
- UPDATE: Dan Wells - Accident
- Aldergrove Welcomes New Members!
- Christmas Benefit Banquet for ADRA
- Health Ministry: November 2013 Newsletter
- ADRA Canada Update 1
- Relief for Typhoon Haiyan Victims
- Home Team 2013: Black Family
- Shuswap International Supper 2013
- Congratulations to: Zoran & Lynne!
- VBS at Abundant Life
- Health, Hope and Healing
- Fellowship at Son Valley!
- Fountainview Academy Orchestra & Singers
- 1st Northern BC Pathfinder Camporee
- Divine Appointment?
- Pastor Appreciation at Rutland
- Opposite Teams: Same Goal
- Pastor Doug Hosking
- Revelation of Hope
- Prayer & Faith
- Hope For A Better World
- Dan Wells: Update 1
- ISLAND PASTORS RETREAT 2013
- Revelation Prophesy
- Hollywood & Jesus
- VOAR Sharathon 2013
- Amazing Prophecies
- Retain & Reclaim Our Youth
- Peace Christian School
- Missing Members: Prince George
- Care Group & Discipleship 101
- Surrey Beavers Induction
- Stuart's Baptism
- BOD Update: SEPTEMBER 22, 2013
- HEALTHSHARE EVANGELISM CONFERENCE
- Rutland VBS
- Sabbath Love!
- Acts Of Kindness in Salmon Arm
- Stepping into Manhood
- Ken Fleming
- Ministry Care Line
- A REACH APPEAL